Welcome to your weekend, Foster people! We got sun, an art walk, a pub/restaurant crawl, and an opportunity to visit some of the neighborhood’s small businesses that you might otherwise not. Seems like a good weekend to make it out to the strip.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We failed to mention in our post last week that Foster will soon be welcoming a Portland institution to the neighborhood: Crossroads Music. As reported by the Portland Mercury, the longtime SE Hawthorne record (and tapes, CDs, posters and audio equipment) store has now closed and already has a new home. Their new location at 8112 SE Harold is just behind Portland Fruit Company and Shimmers, and is anticipated to be open for business August 1.
– And speaking of epic moves to the neighborhood, it’s worth mentioning again that A.N.D. Cafe has officially moved (from its old location on Burnside) and merged with its sister restaurant, Off The Griddle. The merging now gives Foster another breakfast/brunch spot, and the new location means food will be served most of the day instead of just for dinner (with the exception of a two-hour gap between 2-4 pm).
– As we posted yesterday, Saturday should prove to be quite eventful for the Foster strip. The Foster Area Business Association, many local businesses, and the galleries who host the monthly art walk, are pairing events Saturday for a combined Art Walk and Foster Tasting Tour. You can read our post yesterday or check the Tasting Tour Facebook page here.
– SMART Collective is up and running at their new location. Check ’em out at 4533 SE 67th Ave, between Foster and Holgate.
– Have an idea to improve Foster or a neighborhood street through a collaborative, community-focused approach? Will it improve transportation safety, innovation, and offer a sense of placemaking? Need $20,000 to make it happen? Well, the Portland Bureau of Transportation is looking for community groups to give money to for such a project. We urge any and all of you with an idea to network, reach out to the Neighborhood Association, Business Association, or other community groups to partner toward something potentially transformative in the the neighborhood. Read more about the grant opportunity here.
– Torta-landia is now open for lunch. Score one for the neighborhood mid-day eaters.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Second Saturday Foster Art Walk and Tasting Tour– various locations, from 2 – 10 pm
Starday Tavern- Buzz Holland Band w/Paula Sinclair (6 pm) and Noah Peterson (9 pm), Friday night; Valley Soul, Saturday at 9 pm; Genghis Birthday Bash and Fundraiser, Sunday at 4 pm