We hear the sun may come back this weekend, and perhaps for an extended stay. Cross your fingers, folks.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Off The Griddle has already made an impact on the neighborhood, both in food offerings and sheer presence and energy at the once revolving door of less-than-stellar-bars (with the exception of Gemini Lounge…RIP). You can see some of the transformation here. But, in addition to the swapping out of Harleys for scooters, and the addition of vegan fare to Foster, OTG is now aiming to make an even larger impact on the neighborhood. As announced earlier this week, OTG and its owners are shuttering their other baby, A.N.D. Cafe on 50th and Burnside, and bringing it south to the comfy confines of Foster. The merging of the two restaurants will take effect on July 6, which means your now favorite vegan dinner joint will also soon be your favorite vegan brunch joint. What’s more, A.N.D.’s artist-in-residence will be bringing her artwork along for the ride, and OTG will be participating in next month’s Second Saturday Art Walk.
– We shared earlier in the week that the former Paldo Market will, indeed, become a brewery. And we now have a name to go along with the anticipation: Assembly Brewing Co. For those interested in what the transformation will look like, here’s a link to other projects by Assembly’s architects, Steelhead Architecture: commercial projects. Coincidentally, Steelhead now lists the Foster project as “Foster Pub” instead of “Foster Brewery.” We’re not sure why the change.
– The Annual FoPo Garden Tour is this Saturday, just in time for the arriving good weather. This is a fun way to see the neighborhood, get to know others in your community and get inspiration for your own gardening pursuits. Here’s a map of the route. This is the 10th go-around for the Garden Tour, which is a pretty awesome achievement. Check it out, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
– We can’t remember if we shared this already, but SMART Collective’s move from their current location won’t be a big one. They’ll be relocating to a space on SE 67th between Foster and Holgate. This is the same block that is home to Performance Works NW and the former BenWill art gallery. We’ll presume they’ll be setting up shop in the latter’s space, but we’ll see. Cheers to them staying in the ‘hood. Also, join them for a final two-day concert at the old space next Friday and Saturday.
– We didn’t do a weekend post last week, so we were unable to offer our congrats to Bar Maven, who celebrated their fourth anniversary. Props to Bashar and the Bar Maven gang!
– Happy Fathers Day to the dads out there…or to the moms that took on both roles.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Starday Tavern– Birthday Benefit for NW Dog Project (6 pm) and Amber Harlan Trio: My Blue Mood (9 pm), Friday; Sounds Visual “Origin Story,” a tribute to classic hip-hop, Saturday at 9 pm
NWIPA– Jamaican Tast pop-up, Saturday 6-9 pm