Somehow, someway, we’re back to rain and 50-degree temperatures. Not sure how this happened; last week was so promising. Don’t let the weather keep you home, though. Foster has art, happy hours, and music aplenty this weekend. Oh, and happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there—we appreciate all that you do….always (143)!
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Just barely outside the neighborhood bounds, a vegan and artisanal, hand-crafted doughnut shop has made an unlikely neighbor of 7-11, a check-cashing spot, a dispensary, and a fetish-lingerie store at SE 82nd and Powell. Your baker’s dozen may cost you a pretty penny, but the goods is tasty. Welcome to the neighborhood, Doe Donuts.
– It appears that the race for the neighborhood’s first large-scale mixed-use development will be won at the corner of SE 72nd and Foster, just across the street from Portland Mercado. As we mentioned yesterday, the project has been submitted for permitting and review. And if all goes according to plan, construction of 72Foster will begin in August. Sometime after that, we expect to see movement on the rebuild and mixed-use development of the YMCA site at 6036 SE Foster, as well as the four-story apartment and retail building that will occupy the former Busy Bee Cleaners lot at 51st and Foster.
– The commercial strip along Foster at SE 69th continues to evolve. Not long after Futpool Portland opened shop, it appears SMART Collective, the skateboard / apparel shop and all-ages music venue, will be moving from its current location mid-summer (their Facebook page says by July 1). We won’t get too sad just yet, as we’re crossing our fingers they stick around in the neighborhood.
– Second Saturday Foster Art Walk is this weekend. Make it happen, folks. Here’s the lineup (as we know it…you may have to dig a little bit for more details and/or other venues):
Po’ Boy Art and Framing- Brad Klausen art opening, 2-8 pm; several artists and vendors; DJ Joel Bender; beer and snacks
Latchkey Gallery- Jocelyn Barrett pop-up show, 4-8 pm
Flat Blak- May Day / Organized Chaos, 6-9 pm; works by Yannick Hamon and Jack Graydon
Backstory Books- Spontaneous / Methodical, art by Rachel Mulder, 4-8 pm
NWIPA- Earth and Sky, photography by Helen Croy, 5-11 pm
– And here’s some other entertainment for your weekend pleasure:
SMART Collective- Divers/Paper Thin/Longclaw/Puppy Breath benefit show for undocumented families, 7-10 pm, Friday; Jenny Vu SMART Collective board release party, Sunday at 3 pm
Starday Tavern- Texadrine w/Billy Kennedy (6 pm) and Reverse Cowboy (9 pm), Friday; Radio Phoenix, Saturday at 9 pm