Here we are, the last weekend in April and a third of the way through 2017. Yowza. Time really flies when shrouded in gray and wet. Hopefully this weekend brings the weather-change needed for our collective mental and emotional well being.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We noted several months ago that the former Paldo Market space was slated for a remodel and change-in-use to become a restaurant and brewery. It was a couple months later that New School Beer confirmed the plans by including the hypothetical “Foster Brewery” as one it’s most anticipated new breweries in 2017. And if anyone wants double confirmation, Steelhead Architecture has the brewery listed on its “projects” page. Now, in the last week alone, we’ve heard from three different people who have some of the work being done inside the space or heard from those doing the work that the space will, indeed, become a brewery. We don’t know much more than that, but, sadness over Paldo’s departure not withstanding, it’s pretty exciting.
– Next door to Paldo Market, changes may be afoot in the 7-11 and former Winly’s Cash & Carry space. The building is for sale and, as we noted earlier in the week, it comes with a hefty price tag. As expensive as it may be, there’s 42,000 square-feet of Foster-fronting commercial space available. With a brewery now slated to go in next door, a mixed-use apartment building and new childcare facility set to replace the YMCA two doors down, and the Foster Streetscape (kinda) coming closer to reality, perhaps the cost is not that much.
– For those who have looked forward to marching in or spectating the 82nd Avenue of Roses Parade the last decade, it appears there’ll be a break in the tradition this year. The event has been cancelled due to reasons we’re not even interested in getting in to. We’ll simply blame this on our current political climate, as well as the people that now feel emboldened to display hate toward their fellow humans.
– We often talk about the art galleries that participate in Foster’s Second Saturday Art Walk. But we haven’t given Volume Bomb, the guitar, art and record shop located inside the Wikman Building, their propers for contributing to the art scene in the neighborhood. Their collection is not for the faint of heart, but we applaud them pushing the arts. Check ’em out…and get some musical equipment and records, too.
– The Foster-Powell and Mt. Scott-Arleta joint neighborhood cleanup is next Saturday. Time to get rid of all your junk. More info here.
Here’s your weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Lucas Benoit (6 pm) and Soul Night! (9 pm), Friday; Buttercup/Pistol Whiplash/Happy Little Trees, Saturday at 9 pm; BLEND w/Albondigas & Friends, Sunday at 9 pm
Performance Works NW- Appalachian Spring Break, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m.
SMART Collective- Ruined It/Kick It/Dead Country/P.R.O.B.L.E.M.S., Saturday at 7 p.m.
NWIPA- Fluffy IPA Can Release, Friday at 6 p.m.
Enjoy the weekend, y’all…