Here we are again, the weekend. And it couldn’t have come sooner. After a few days blog-free, we return with some neighborhood happenings and events. And perhaps one day–today–of sun over the next few days.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Spring is coming; we can feel it. February, obviously, has been very wet. But the shrubs and trees are threatening to bud, and bulbs daring to poke out of the ground. Warmer, drier days are getting nearer. As such, consider how you might get out in to the neighborhood whereas you most recently may have been deterred for the weather.
– With spring on the way, here’s another PSA: check out and support your Foster-Powell Community Garden. The former gas station on ODOT-owned land at SE 62nd and Powell has grown a lot in the last couple years, literally and figuratively. But it doesn’t grow on it own. Check out the garden’s website, and if you have an affinity for gardening, being outside, and getting a little dirty, consider how you may help keep the garden strong. Here’s a start–see image the right.
– Speaking of supporting the community, Pieper Cafe will be donating 10% of all their sales today (Friday) to the Immigrant& Refugee Community Organization. This is a wonderful cause, and a simple cup of coffee and bagel is all you need to do your part. And remember, Pieper stays open late on Fridays. So if you’re looking for an early Friday happy hour, they have you covered there, too.
– And sorry we missed this earlier in the month, but it’s also worth noting that Backstory Books will be donating 10% of every gift certificate purchase to the Portland chapter of the NAACP. Gift certificates are perfect for birthdays and other celebrations, so stock up now.
– If you missed out on the Second Saturday Foster Art Walk last week, fear not, all is not lost. Not only can you catch it in March, but you have an opportunity for art and music and revelry this weekend, too. NWIPA is hosting an art opening and live music event this Saturday from 6-10 pm. Jess Bronk will be opening her art showing at the bottle shop, and live music will come courtesy of Soft Paws and Ann Krue. Showing starts at 6, music at 8:30.
– We haven’t been in for a few days, so we can’t confirm, but there’s word Bar Carlo will be taking credit cards again.
– Cheap pizza and beer is back at O’Malley’s. Well, it never really left, but now you can pair the two for an inexpensive happy hour. “Hamm’s and Pizza Mondays” gets you a 10-inch pie and pint of Hamm’s for only $12 between 5-8 pm. And remember, the wee ones are allowed entry during those hours, so bring the fam.
Here’s your weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Buzz Holland Happy Hour w/Paula Sinclair (6 pm) and Amber Harlan Trio (9 pm), Friday; The Spirit of 206, Saturday at 9 pm; Chill Out w/Chaz Lake (Live Painting), Sunday at 8 pm
NWIPA- Super Beer Bros: Level One Release, Friday at 6 pm; Jess Bronk + Soft Paws art opening and live music, Saturday from 6-10 pm
Performance Works NW- UnPresidented Acts, Monday at 7 pm
Enjoy the weekend, y’all…