For all those that got a long weekend because of the snow/ice, well done. For those that didn’t, bummer—hang in there, the weekend is nearly upon us. We should thaw out soon enough, and there are a few things to get into in the neighborhood…so enjoy.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Since Powell Boulevard does form our northern boundary, we sometimes have to remind ourselves to stray from our love affair with Foster to represent all corners of the neighborhood. On that note, check out the neighborhood’s newest bar, Local 66 Bar and Grill. We haven’t been in yet, so we can’t vouch for it. They’ll have some work to do to shed the curse of that location, but a new bar in the neighborhood is always worth checking out. Let us know what you think.
– We’ll put together a running list of local businesses to shop at for the holidays next week, but we figured we’d throw this out there: rumor has it that I Heart Retro may or may not be your local source for ugly sweaters. Just sayin’…
– If you’re not turned off by the rain—or even if you are—check out your local art galleries and other small businesses for this Saturday’s Foster Art Walk. More info here.
– The big news recently is the spate of new businesses and development projects in the pipeline for Foster. We’ve mentioned some of the expected business openings—Bread & Roses Market, Off The Griddle, Futpool Portland, and possibly a new restaurant and brewery to name a few—but there are a few mixed-use residential projects in the works, too. We wrote about plans to rebuild the YMCA and add 54 units of housing (at 6036 SE Foster) earlier this week.
– And speaking of new businesses, celebrate with Kaah Market as they open their new carniceria inside Portland Mercado’s market hall. They’ll be joining in celebration with Jouk Li Jou Haitian Cookshack Cafe, who will be celebrating their grand opening too.
Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
SMART Collective- Penalty Kick / Ah God / Grandfather / Rod & Frenz, Friday from 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Starday Tavern- Texadrine w/Billy Kennedy (6 pm) and Radio Phoenix (9 pm), Friday; Turbo Foster 80’s Night w/DJ Wretched, Saturday at 10 pm; Peter Knudsen Trio, Sunday at 9 pm; The Modulators, Tuesday at 6 pm
Portland Mercado- Grand Opening of Kaah Neighborhood Meat Shop and Jouk Li Jou Haitian food cart, 10 am – 8 pm
Various locations on Foster- Second Saturday Art Walk, 5 – 9 pm
Enjoy the weekend, all.