We’re in the final month of 2016. I can’t tell if that’s a good thing yet; there’s a lot of uncertainty as we head into 2017. But for now, in our little corner of Southeast Portland, time tends to stand still. Refreshingly so, sometimes. You can count on the standard dose of live music this weekend, brunch, happy hour, dinner, a little Tango, and plenty of shopping at our rad and eclectic mix of small businesses.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Change can be slow-going on Foster, but when it does happen, it seems to come in waves. Case in point–this week we noted the following development on Foster: in addition to the expected openings of Off The Griddle restaurant, Bread and Roses Market, and Futpool Portland, Saint Frank’s music is morphing into Volume Bomb Records and Guitars; Foster is slated for a four-story, 33-unit mixed-use development next door to Speedboat Coffee and where Busy Bee Cleaners once was; it was also revealed that Steelhead Architecture is seeking a change-of-use designation for the Paldo Market space, where it appears there may be plans for a restaurant and brewery.
– Let’s not forget that there’s a 30-unit apartment building currently under construction just off of Foster at SE 58th and Boise, and the YMCA building at SE 60th has long been rumored to be in line for redevelopment with the addition of 50+ units of housing. When it rains it pours!
– Now that we’re in December, and since the collective urge is to buy stuff for the next few weeks, it’s not too early to start planning your holiday shopping around our neighborhood business district. We’ll have more on that later, but for the book lovers out there, there’s a special event at NWIPA this Sunday bringing together local publishers, authors and, of course, beer. Books and Beer will take place this Sunday, from 2 – 5 p.m. The event will be hosted by Overcup Press, and will feature books crossing several genres—for beer lovers, kids, travelers, those into the arts, and more. Authors will be signing books, too. More info here.
– Bar Carlo is kicking off the first of many afternoon of good food, drinks, and a curation of music from local DJs. This Sunday brings us DJ Anjali & the Incredible Kid along with Indian influenced food and drink specials. Sunday, 1 – 4 p.m.
– Speaking of regular shows, Alder Manning will be at Portland Mercado Monday evening (8 – 9:30) for Music Night.
– Carts on Foster is doing something a little different this Saturday. But surely you all will be able to find reason to indulge. All the carts will be preparing chocolate-inspired treats for the day in an event dubbed Chocolate Ala Cart. Not that you need an excuse to eat chocolate, but here’s a teaser: Road Runner BBQ will have chocolate bacon on the menu. Indulging starts at 11 a.m. and runs through 5 p.m. Enjoy! There will be beer pairings available, too.
Events and happenings:
– Performance Works NW: A Turbulence of Muses. December 2 – 4, 8:00 pm
– Starday Tavern: Buzz Holland Happy Hour Band w/Paula Sinclair (6 pm) and The Redeemed w/Jeffrey Trapp (9 pm), Friday; La Rivera (6 pm) and Sarah Gwen (9 pm), Saturday
– Carts on Foster: Chocolate Ala Cart, Saturday from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
– NWIPA: Books and Beer, Sunday from 2 – 5 p.m.
– Bar Carlo: DJ Anjali & the Incredible Kid, Sunday from 1 – 4 p.m
– Portland Mercado: Music Night w/Alder Manning, Monday from 8 – 9:30 p.m.
Enjoy the weekend, folks!