The weekend is again upon us. And while we may not have the same enthusiasm as we had for braving the elements last weekend, it’s still advised you get out and about. A stroll through the neighborhood, a jaunt down Foster, happy hour, or some cider tasting at the food carts–it’s all there for the taking.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Yes, we said cider tasting. But we failed to mention that it’s hard cider tasting. And not just hard cider, either. Carts on Foster is hosting a Fall Tasting event this Saturday, in which all participating food carts will be offering a $3 tasting plate. This will be paired with free hard cider tastings inside the Pod Bar. Do it, people. Noon until 6 pm.
– Want some cash to make your neighborhood radder? Want to collaborate with other community groups to strengthen the neighborhood’s social fabric? Cool, you should, and you can receive between $300 and $4000 through Southeast Uplift’s Neighborhood Small Grants Program to do it. The near-yearly neighborhood grant program has funded some pretty cool projects through Portland, and SEUL has over $23,000 for projects in SE Portland. This is open for anyone to apply for so long as they meet the listed criteria–think community collaboration, building partnerships, increasing outreach and neighborhood capacity. Examples of projects awarded funding in the past: murals, community gardens, neighborhood events, and organizing activities for youth. Find a partner to do something rad in the neighborhood with, and you might be surprised what you’d be eligible for.
– If you’re in the market for commercial property on Foster, we have a couple for you.
– Speaking of commercial spaces, in a sad bit of news, Velvet Goldmine will soon be closing its doors. Get your hand-crafted and vintage clothing now while you can; they’ll be closing on October 29. We wish Loni good luck in her next venture as she switches gears and leaves the ol’ storefront behind.
– Check this out at Performance Works NW: Pharmakon Wobble–an unconventional evening of sound, image and movement. Arranged from philosophical and spiritual sources, both primitive and modern, from the traditional to the esoteric, Pharmakon Wobble is a work that examines the noumenous relationships between the human condition and its mythical paradox.
– The Portland Mercury is hosting Portland Wing Week, October 24-29. Why is this significant? Foster’s own Bar Maven will be participating, and they’ll have Chris Yu’s Korean Wings on hand for the duration of the event. You’re gonna want to get in on this, and you’ll have the better part of a week to do so.
– Just gonna hype this one more time: a new mural on the north end of the (SE 65th/66th) alley connecting SE Holgate to Starday Tavern (at Foster) may very well turn out to be a new symbol of Foster-Powell neighborhood pride. Peep game….here.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Performance Works NW- Pharmakon Wobble, Friday from 9-11 p.m.
Starday Tavern- Buzz Holland Happy Hour (6 pm) and Michele D’Amour & The Love Dealers (9 pm), Friday; Happy Hour Shenangins w/Grits and Applesauce (6 pm) and The Butchers (9 pm), Saturday
Carts on Foster- Fall Tasting, Saturday from noon until 6 pm
NWIPA- Noble Ale Works Tap Takeover, Saturday at 6pm; Grain & Gristle and Upright Brewing Dinner, Sunday at 5pm
Hammer and Jacks- Rock N’Roll Fairy, Sunday at 11:30 am
SMART Collective- Merso//Drowse//Helens//Clovver, Tuesday at 6:30 pm
Enjoy the weekend, people. Let us know if anything else is going on.