Dang, we thought we might be done with the near-100-degree days. Maybe we shouldn’t complain, though–we dip back into the 80’s over the weekend, and sit in the 70’s for most of next week. I suppose you should get out and enjoy the heat and sun while you still can.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Remember when Double Treble was a thing? I know, it was short-lived, and most of you probably didn’t make it in during their brief tenure. Yes, you’re reading between the lines correctly–the space formerly known as Double Treble is for lease. Just gonna say, another restaurant would be a nice addition on Foster. Whatever does become of the space, we’ll cross our fingers it fares better than Double Treble and Gemini Lounge before them. And Brown’s, Reno’s, Lizard Lounge and Knuckleheads before them.
– On a more positive business note (unless, of course, you’re in the “happy that Double Treble is closing” camp): Hammer and Jacks is celebrating their grand opening tomorrow, from noon until 2 p.m. We wrote about the new toy store and community space earlier this week. Read about it here.
– For the burger lovers out there, Foster Burger has changed their menu a bit. A few new burgers have been added to the list…
– Do you buy a Chinook Book every year? Wanna help support your Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association? If you buy the book from the FoPo NA, 50% of the sales price gets donated back to the Neighborhood Association. This is a big fundraiser for them, and part of what helps them put money toward such events as National Night Out and Movies in the Park. Get more info here.
– Just to put on your radar…Darling Press will be celebrating a year of showcasing local artists every first Friday in their Foster Row studio. There will be a celebration to mark the one-year anniversary September 2nd, but it will also mark a transition in which they move from a first-Friday showing to join other businesses on Foster for the Second Saturday Art Walk. We don’t know how deep into the Fall Second Saturdays will go, but adding another established venue for art should only make the monthly art walk better.
– We’re short on news this Friday. If there’s anything worth sharing, feel free to leave a comment.
– Here’s your weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Kory Quinn (6 pm) and Mo Brown & The Shit Downtown // Sir Coyler & His Asthmatic Band (9 pm), Friday; Happy Hour Shenanigans w/Grits and Applesauce (6 pm) and Amber Harlan Trio (9 pm), Saturday
Hammer and Jacks- Grand Opening party, Saturday from noon until 2 p.m.
Performance Works NW- Cave Forms, Saturday from 11 a.m. to noon. Advance notice of attendance is required–more info here.
NWIPA- Parallel Food and Drink Sunday Dinner, 5:00 & 7:30 p.m. Tickets required–more info here.
Arleta School- Project Community Care, school beautification and cleanup, Saturday from 9 a.m. until noon; volunteers of all shapes, sizes and age are welcome
PCC Southeast- Jade International Night Market, Saturday from 5 – 10 p.m. (Not technically in the neighborhood,but well worth you checking out.)