I guess summer has finally started. Just in time, as we only have two and a half days left in July. As we get ready for August, know that there are a handful of happenings that you should put on your calendar. Also, stay hydrated.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Make sure you make it out to Kern Park this coming Tuesday for National Night Out. The yearly event usually draws hundreds of neighborhood residents, as they picnic, dance to live music, peruse vending booths, and show off their neighborhood pride. 6:30 – 8:30 this Tuesday, August 2. Much love to the Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association for organizing this event…it really is a treat.
– Also, while we’re talking about activity on Foster, make sure to check out REACH CDC’s neighborhood meeting to provide details and solicit input on their proposed mixed-use development at SE 72nd Avenue. The proposal calls for 108 units of affordable housing and 10,000 square-feet of commercial space across the street from the Portland Mercado. It’s exciting to get some mixed-use development on Foster, as well as much needed affordable housing. Feelings will be mixed, though, as would any large-scale project that gets proposed for Foster, so if you want to show your support, ask questions, learn more, or just get some free snacks, feel free to join neighbors on Wednesday, August 3. New Day Center for the Arts (Day Theater) will play host from 6:30 – 8:30 pm.
– Foster will be hosting a first-of-its-kind music festival August 13. The multi-venue event will bring no less than 24 bands to Foster in an evening-long showcase of music. Dubbed, This is Portland not Portlandia, the event will bring bands to O’Malley’s, Starday Tavern, Double Treble, and Da Hui; SMART Collective will also be hosting an all-ages event to accompany.
– And while you’ve got your calendars open, Second Saturday Foster Art Walk will also take place on August 13. The monthly art walk has steadily brought more people to Foster through each successive event, and with more venues participating, combined with the music festival, this should be worth your while. More to come later…
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Tiger Touch / Dartgun & The Vignettes / The Carotids, Friday at 9 pm; Vinyl Gold (6 pm), Boys 2 Gentlemen / The Best Dancers (9 pm), Saturday
NWIPA- Pagan Jug Band performs on Saturday, from 8 – 10 pm
Portland Mercado-Art Viloria plays nuevo flamenco guitar Saturday, 4 – 6 pm
Be cool, people…