Well, we’ve hit the middle of July and the weather is still a bit funky. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Kinda like Foster, though. Hopefully you all find a way to get out and about in the ‘hood this weekend.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Our very own “P. Iggy Smalls” is famous. Many of you have already been acquainted with the “Notorious P.I.G.,” the ever popular farm animal turned pet turned neighborhood icon. She gladly watches over the Center Street bike boulevard (between SE 66th and 65th) and will gladly take treats (provided by old candy dispensers) from passersby. She’s already made her mark in the neighborhood; now she’s gracing the pages of the Willy Week as Portland’s Best Celebrity Pig. Keep doing your thing, P. Iggy!
– Speaking of neighborhood pets finding fame, Starday Tavern’s resident dog, Genghis, also caught the Willy Week’s attention, as they named him Portland’s Best Bar Dog. You go, Genghis!
– Like we mentioned, July is halfway over, which means it’s time to start getting your calendar right so you don’t miss out on summertime happenings. We won’t pretend to know half of what might be going on, but we have a few events for you to get on your radar:
PoP up Fried Korean Wings, July 23 at Bar Maven: guest chef and DJ mixing Korean fried wings and old-school hip hop
Movie in the Park, July 27 at Essex Park: Live music at 6:30; movie starts around 8:30
National Night Out, August 2 at Kern Park: Vendors, live music, and family-friendly fun from 6:30 – 8:30
This Is Portland Not Portlandia, August 13 at O’Malley’s, Da Hui, Starday Tavern, Double Treble (and SMART Collective?): we’ll post more details later, but this event will bring several bands to Foster in a coordinated event between multiple bars/music venues. A music fest, if you will.
Second Saturday Foster Art Walk, August 13 at various galleries and shops on Foster: by our math, August’s Art Walk falls on the same day as the above music event, which means you should just clear the whole evening and camp out on Foster
– In addition to the above, look for celebrations to commemorate Starday’s first year under the Justin-Shannon (and Genghis) ownership; four years in the ‘hood for NWIPA; and more.
– As we mentioned earlier in the week, 72Foster is inching closer to becoming reality. And as such, the neighborhood stands to gain 100+ units of affordable housing in a mixed-use development that will also add 10,000 square feet of commercial space across the street from the Portland Mercado. In addition to the proposed 72Foster development, there are plans to build a four-story, mixed-use development on the former Busy Bee lot just southeast of the intersection of Powell and Foster (where a homeless encampment now sits); a rebuild of the YMCA building at SE 61st and Foster, which will also include the addition of 50+ units of housing; and 30 apartments to an empty lot behind the storefronts at 5816 SE Foster. Foster’s growing up, folks.
– Here are your weekend happenings:
Starday Tavern- PDX: Buzz Holland Band (6 pm) and Amber Harlan Trio (9 pm), Friday; Erik Kallio (6 pm) and LEO ISLO (9 pm), Saturday; Ghengis’ 10th Birthday Bash and Rescue Animal benefit (dogs are welcome), Sunday at 4 pm
SMART Collective- Rod EP Release with Chugger, Glacier Veins, Two Moons and Lee Faulkner, Friday at 5 pm
Double Treble- Cherrybomb 13, 3 to Breathe, the BAR Pilots, and Searching for Sanity, Friday at 7 pm
Be cool, y’all…enjoy the weekend.