This whole climate change thing is a bit funky. After being gone for a couple weeks, and having had multiple 90-degree days on record before summer even started, we didn’t expect to have a gray, rainy weekend in the middle of July. That’s Portland for you, we suppose. In any event, don’t let it keep you from doing your thing this weekend. There’s plenty to get into, and, as always, Foster beckons.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We got so caught up in the excitement of pub crawls, art walks, and Bar Carlo’s record store-to-be, that we forgot to mention Pieper Cafe now has extended hours on Fridays. Sure, an extra two hours may seem like a subtle change, but having another spot to go after a long work week is golden. If an evening shot of caffeine isn’t your thing, surely a panini and a glass of wine or beer is.
– So about that record shop at Bar Carlo. Check out what we wrote yesterday. The double-sized restaurant will be splitting in two, basically, with one side of the bar soon to be dedicated to use records.
– If that counts as a new business, we should all mention a couple other new businesses on or near to Foster: Kilroy’s Tattoo and Seva Yoga. Kilroy’s recently opened next to Backstory Books at 6012 SE Foster, and you can acquaint yourself with them tomorrow at Foster’s Second Saturday Art Walk, as they’ll be showing the work of Kayla Newell. Seva Yoga is down the road a bit, tucked away behind Portland Fruit and Shimmers at 80th and SE Harold. Check ’em out.
– Ok, so the big happening this weekend is Second Saturday Foster Art Walk and the overlapping “Spirit of Foster Tasting Tour.” The combination of art walk and pub crawl should be well worth your time, and there should be a little something for everyone. The art up and down Foster is quite varied, and the number of places to eat and drink will accommodate both the family and adult-specific. Read here for more info, and definitely make it out Saturday afternoon/evening.
– One more tidbit: another robber visits a Foster bar—this happens every couple months, or so it seems. This time, though, the perp showed up when the bartender happened to be on a potty break (so we presume, as they weren’t behind the bar). After having patrons put their hands in the air, the perp noticed nobody was behind the bar to open the cash register and left in a hurry empty-handed. Hahahaha…
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
O’Malley’s- Lovesores, Girl Drink Drunks, and City of Pieces, Saturday at 9 pm
Starday Tavern- Kelsey and the Next Right Thing (6 pm) and DJ Espinoza open format night (9 pm), Friday; Miller & Sasser, Zach Bryson, Saturday at 9 pm
SMART Collective- Gaffa, Pedestrian Death Gang, Fossa Club perform tonight (Friday) at 6:30 (this is an all ages show)
Second Saturday Foster Art Walk- various, from 4 – 8 pm (with Flat Blak, Latchkey Gallery, Kilroy’s Tattoo, Po Boy Art at the Day Theater, Green Noise Records, and more)
Spirit of Foster Tasting Tour- various, 4 – 8 pm (at Starday Tavern, Bar Maven, Carts on Foster, and more)