We’re already a third of the way through June. And with July quickly approaching, I suppose it’s time to get into summer mode. There are a lot of happenings locally that you should start putting on your radar…it goes by fast. Get a partial list of summer to-do’s below. First thing’s first, though, there’s a lot to get into this weekend. Enjoy it.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– This weekend’s big event is Saturday’s Foster Art Walk. The Second Saturday event will be celebrating its fourth month, and it should be the best one to date. In addition to Backstory Books, Flat Blak Gallery, and Latchkey Gallery, we’ll see two new locations added to the route: Green Noise Records (who will have art on display, live music, and free pizza) and Po Boy Art. The latter will be celebrating their grand opening inside the Day Theater. Also celebrating with a “hard opening” is Flat Blak; they’ve been slangin’ art for a couple months now, but Saturday will mark their official opening. You can read more here.
– O’Malley’s is hosting a monthly Bluegrass jam again. The Second Sunday shows will be ran by the Rocky Water Stringband, and they’ll bring their bluegrass and old time musical style every month from 7 – 10 pm.
– So about the other summer events….here’s a quick primer (with more to come later, I’m sure):
Every Second Saturday- Foster Art Walk
June 18- Foster-Powell Garden Tour
July 9- Spirit of Foster Pub Crawl
July 27- Movies in the Park, Finding Nemo at Essex Park
August 2- National Night Out, neighborhood party at Kern Park
– And while we’re talking about summer events, remember that we may soon see the opening of two new businesses on Foster: Hammer + Jacks is expected to open at the beginning of July, and Bread and Roses Market is eyeing the end of July for their opening.
– Italian street food on Foster? Yes, please. The Foster food cart pod continues to evolve, and one of its newest occupants is Bari Food Cart, specializing in Panzerotti. I know nothing about Panzerotti, but EaterPDX had a nice writeup about it and the new cart.
– Here’s your weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Kelsey & The Next Right Thing (6 pm) and An Evening w/Mr. Musu (9:30 pm), Friday; Lioness Kate (6 pm) and The Verbtones//The Shriekers (9 pm), Saturday
Second Saturday Foster Art Walk- do your Foster boogie and check out Flat Blak Gallery, Latchkey Gallery, Po Boy Art, Green Noise Records, and more (roughly 4 – 8 pm)
SMART Collective- NRVS LVRS, Heart & Hare, Sleeping Lessons, Saturday at 7 pm
O’Malley’s- Rock Show w/the Streakin’ Healys, Spacewaster and Stumblebum, Saturday at 10 pm; Country Bluegrass Night w/Rocky Water Stringband, Sunday at 7 pm
Bar Carlo- Hot Club of Hawthorne, Wednesday at 7 pm
NWIPA- Chuck’s Hop Shop Takeover, Friday at 6 pm; NDUBS takes Mongers II (with burgers and oysters), Saturday at 5 pm
Enjoy the weekend, y’all…