If you appreciate the high-heat, a good melting, some sunburn and wilted flowers, this weekend is for you. The Climate Change gods are offering a two-for-one deal on 100-degree days. Get one Saturday; another free of charge on Sunday. Good luck, people. As always, you know where to cool off and/or which patios allow you to soak in as much solar radiation as you so desire.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Speaking of sun and patios (and general outdoor seating), we have a few. Here’s your reminder to check them out. Yes, all of them (though, not necessarily in succession or in the same day). Here’s a primer: Carts on Foster, Devil’s Point, Foster Burger, Slingshot, FoPo Tavern, Nayar Taqueria, Bar Maven (new and improved), NWIPA, Bar Carlo, Starday Tavern, O’Malley’s, Da Hui and Double Treble, Foster Gardens and Andy’s. And if you’re not a drinker, Speedboat Coffee, Henry Higgins Bagels and, last but not least, Pieper Cafe are all options, too.
– Don’t forget that the Foster-Powell Garden Tour is two weeks from Saturday (June 18). Do it. You’ll find yourself feeling inspired; inept as a gardener; envious of others’ yards; hyped that your neighborhood is way radder more beautiful than you realized; ready to tackle on your own garden; and meeting neighbors. It’s a fun way to spend part of your Saturday. We highly recommend it, especially, for those who are new to the neighborhood.
– New business alert: this week we posted about Hammer and Jacks, which will soon occupy the storefront in between Rose and Dagger Tattoo and Henry Higgins Bagels. Hammer and Jacks will be a kids toy and clothing store, also with open space for play dates, events, and family movie nights.
– We also took a look at the Laurelwood Park Master Plan, which was put together nearly three years ago. The plan was adopted by the city, but has been left unfunded…somewhat indefinitely. However, we noted that the project is actually listed in Portland Parks and Rec’s future budge with a an actual timeframe for completion (if actually funded). The park at Holgate and Foster could see major improvements within six years, but as many 10.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Darling Press (at Foster Row)- First Friday art opening and live jazz, 7 pm
Starday Tavern- The Buzz Holland Band (6 pm) and Rhymes for a Reason: Benefit for MYP (9 pm), Friday; Livy Conner (6 pm) and DJ Espinoza’s 90 Dance Party (9pm), Saturday
Bar Carlo- WAX! with Mike Steele, Melody Fisher, Mason Fisher, Friday at 9 pm
Double Treble- Wooden Sleepers and The Lonesome Valley Pussyfooters, Saturday at 8 pm
Portland Mercado- USA vs Columbia (soccer) viewing party, Friday at 6 pm
SMART Collective- Noise Brigade, Trunks, and Wired for Havoc, Sunday at 5 pm
Foster Buds- Farmers Market, Sunday from noon to 4 pm
Enjoy the weekend, y’all.