I must say, the rain is a little refreshing. As much as we were getting used to the warm, sunny weather, the prospect of summer starting in April was a little scary. A little wet shouldn’t hamper your weekend anyway, so enjoy what the neighborhood has to offer.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Starday Tavern kicked off week one of their three-week fundraiser to save Outdoor School. What that means for you all: live music the next two Mondays; free cover, with donations encouraged; and an opportunity to sign a petition that will hopefully add funding to keep Outdoor School alive.
– The big news this week was the announcement of a new mixed-use project planned for development at SE 72nd Foster. The vacant lot across the street from Portland Mercado is slated for 108 units of affordable housing, 10,000 square feet of commercial space, and residential services provided by Asian Health & Services Center. We’ll have more details on the project next week, but for now it’s safe to say reactions have been mixed. Most people are happy to see an infusion of affordable housing; we’re excited for residential and more commercial space to be built on Foster; others are concerned about parking; some are less than pleased with the number of units and the proximity to single-family residential homes. I’m sure all these concerns will be addressed at some point, but for now we can say that—at the very least—we’ll have one less vacant lot on Foster.
– We’ve mentioned before that Tort-landia will soon be expanding into the neighboring storefront with an intimate tequila bar. The space is nearly ready to open, and we have a name: Agave Room Tequila Lounge. Sweet!
– What the hell? Prince! Gone way too soon. For those who need their dose, Bar Carlo will be playing Purple Rain on the big screen tonight (Friday) at 7:30.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Fridays (standup comedy), 9 pm
Starday Tavern- Early Night James w/Big E and Friends (6 pm) and The Amber Harlan Jazz Trio (9 pm), Friday; Nathan James Earle, Saturday at 9 pm; Save Outdoor School Concert Series, Monday at 6 pm
Bar Carlo- Purple Rain on the big screen, Friday at 7:30
O’Malley’s- Complaint Department, Lucky Boys, and DeadFriends, Saturday at 10 pm
Performance Works NW- A head of time: Solo by Linda Austin, Friday and Saturday at 8 pm, Sunday at 2 pm
Enjoy the weekend, y’all…