Well, we’re only two weeks away from Christmas. And I suppose that’s only significant if you celebrate Christmas, but it still shows how little left we have of 2015. Remember when Y2K was all the rage? Seems so long ago.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We learned more this week about a proposal by ROSE CDC to develop the vacant lot at SE 72nd and Foster. Their proposal calls for 60 units of affordable housing, with 10,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space. It’s quite possible, though, that other bidders may win the opportunity to develop that lot. And we’re hearing that at least one other proposal could be on the table. That proposal could bring as many as 110 units to the lot, and the focus would be on inter-generational families with a leaning toward the Asian community. Which ever proposal wins the heart of PDC, that corner of the neighborhood will soon look very different than it did just a year ago.
– In other news and rumors, we hear that Soft Tipper Darts may soon be but a memory. Again, just a rumor, but the corner space next to NWIPA may be vacant in the next 30 days. We don’t know if another prospective tenant is in place, but we do know that the brick building is pretty rad, and that particular location plays a pretty intrigul role in the commercial hub of the “Heart of Foster.” More to come on that, I’m sure…
– Feel free to check out last Friday’s post for a loosely gathered list of Holiday happenings in the ‘hood. And as always, add any others that you want to share in the comments.
– If you are a Christmas shopper, let us give another plug to local businesses. From the home-brew shop near Fred Meyer and the pop-up shops at the Mercado this weekend, to the books and records and clothing and furniture and art stores dotted along Foster, you can definitely keep your money local if you try. And if you don’t, might we suggest keeping a special eye on your delivered packages. If not, someone else will (if you know what I mean). Just sayin….
– Although mentioned in our running list of Holiday happenings, an extra reminder: tree lighting in Laurelwood Park next Wednesday at 5:30. Should be fun.
– Ok, one more Christmas-related tidbit…Santacon made Foster its playground last year at this time. And how glorious it was…
– We do our best to share Friday and Saturday entertainment with you, but we thought it would be good to plug some of the music you can catch other days/nights of the week. I’m sure there’s more, but for starters:
* O’Malley’s hosts DJ Shortchange every second Tuesday for Reggae music at 9pm.
* Bar Carlo hosts the Hot Club of Hawthorne for some jazz every third Wednesday at 7pm.
* And new to the list, O’Malley’s will now host Bluegrass Night with the Hazy Dickels every second Sunday at 7pm.
– And for this weekend, we have the following:
SMART Collective- Promo Release (new skate video) and live music from Bed, Ladywolf and Helens; starts at 6
Starday Tavern- Dance Party, Friday at 8:30; Chartbusters////42 Ford Prefect////All Worked Up, Saturday at 9
O’Malley’s– Blue Grass Night with The Hazy Dickels, Sunday at 7
NWIPA- El Borracho Pop Up, Saturday at 6
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Fridays (we can’t confirm whether this is still ongoing)
Rose and Dagger Tattoo- For the Fonz, benefit for the owner’s dog, Le Fonz’s medical costs. Tattoo specials and more. Saturday, 12 – 9.