Wet, wet weekend, here we come. And we got music and food and performing arts to get through it. Oh, and December…what the hell? How’d you get here so fast?
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Speaking of December, I suppose we should start a running list of holiday events. Here are a few to put on your calendar (and please share whatever more you have):
Bad Christmas Sweater and Mustache Contest– Dec 11 at Devil’s Point
Portland Posada– Dec 12 at Portland Mercado, 3 – 8 pm
El Boracho Pop Up– Dec 12 at NWIPA, 6 – 9 pm
Foster Area Tree Lighting– Dec 16 at 5:30 in Laurelwood Park
Holiday Chill Party– Dec 18 at Starday Tavern
FoPo Holiday Caroling– Dec 21, from 6 – 8 pm (meet at Kern Park at 5:45 to mingle and collect caroling packet)
Firestone Walker’s 3rd Annual Ugly Sweater Party– NWIPA, 6 – 9 pm
– Performance Works NW is in the midst of a three-day showing of Alice Gosti’s Protecting the Herd (check the link for more information). Don’t forget, Linda Austin has held down her corner of the neighborhood for 15 years, providing live and experimental performing arts and dance. Check PWNW out if you haven’t already.
– As we are all aware, Portland is a rapidly changing city. And that change is most noticeable at the neighborhood level, where business districts have seemingly transformed over night and demographics have shifted in the many residential areas. The Oregonian recently posted an online, interactive map that illustrates some of these changes. It compares pre-recession demographics by census tract to current population statistics. To see how the Foster area has changed in the last ten years, click here.
– Speaking of changes, we hear Rose CDC is eyeing the vacant lot at SE 72nd and Foster, presumably to build affordable housing. We’ll dig deeper into that later, but it’s worth keeping an eye on.
– If you’re a holiday shopper, might we convince you to explore our local businesses? For a start, you can buy the following on Foster: records, board games, beer/wine, books, art, holiday cards, retro furniture, skateboards and apparel, vintage clothing, and stuffed animals and elk heads. Get at it.
– Here’s your weekend entertainment:
Performance Works NW– Protecting the Herd, Friday and Saturday at 8pm; Sunday at 2pm
FoPo Tavern– Ferociously Funny Fridays, comedy at 9pm
Starday Tavern– Royal Bert, Friday at 9; Sawtooth / Weezy Ford, Saturday at 9pm
SMART Collective– New Social Outcasts Album Release, starts at 5 pm; Live music from James Curry IV, Saola, and New Social Outcasts; $5 cover / free w/student ID