Dia de las Muertos, Halloween, Samhain. Call it what you want, there seems to be a universal connection between this part of Autumn and the spirit world. Foster continues to celebrate that connection this weekend. Hopefully you all find a way to enjoy it even if it’ll be a little wet.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Earlier this week we mentioned a couple new businesses opening along the corridor: a tattoo shop and used bookstore. The tattoo shop is Rose & Dagger, and they’ll be opening next door to Henry Higgins, possibly as early as Halloween day; Backstory Books is the other store-to-be, and they’ll be opening in the same commercial strip as Tambayan and Heads High Barbershop (roughly at SE 60th). As some may know, Backstory is not new to the neighborhood, as they previously operated in a small space at Carts on Foster. But their new location gives them a proper retail presence on Foster.
– The city recently pledged to set aside a large portion of its urban renewal money toward affordable housing. Of that money, it’s estimated that $7.5 million will be available for the Lents Town Center Urban Renewal Area, which includes Foster Road. One site that’s been mentioned for future affordable housing is the now-vacant lot on SE 72nd, just west of the Portland Mercado. If that PDC-owned site were to be developed, the city (with last Spring’s opening of the Mercado) will have drastically improved and brought life to an intersection that was once 50% asphalt and devoid of any energy. It would also help address the neighborhood’s waning affordability and make Foster’s trajectory a little less Division-y.
– Speaking of that corner of the neighborhood, the Portland Mercado made Eater PDX’s list of “38 Essential Portland Restaurants.” The ever-changing list of top Portland restaurants rarely dips into these parts, but it looks like the Mercado forced their hand.
– And speaking of food in the neighborhood, Starday Tavern has taken things to the next level. Blazin’ Ribs and Teriyaki will be setting up shop inside the bar to provide food for all of you. And not just on a temporary basis. You’ll soon be able to pair your beer and cocktails (and free hugs from Starday’s owner) with ribs, brisket, chicken, burgers, fish and chips, hush puppies, teriyaki and Thai BBQ. That’s what I’m talkin’ about…
– Here’s your weekend entertainment
Starday Tavern- Smash Bandits, Friday at 9:30; Halloween Dance Party Extravaganza, Saturday at 9pm (in addition to adult games, costumes, drinks and music, Road Runner BBQ will be making appearance to provide food); Jankaraoke, Sunday at 9pm
Hallowed Halls- Spookfest, Friday at 5:30: Free all-ages show featuring Gold Casio, The Lower 48, Bike Thief, Coastlands, Liquidlight, No Aloha, A Collective Subconscious, and Shannon Entropy. And costumes, wear costumes.
Portland Mercado- Dia de los Muertos, all weekend long
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Friday, Friday (duh)
NWIPA- Halloween Party and Birthday Bash, Saturday at 5pm; Chicken and Guns will be roasting a whole pig for dinner, Xiphoid Process and Motorboat performs at 9pm