We trust you’ve made the most out of the October sun and heat. It’s been glorious but sadly coming to an end. We suggest catching a Friday happy hour on Foster, bask in the last remnants of higher-than-average temperatures, then prepare for our more typical rain and cooler weather starting Saturday. No signs of 70s anywhere in the forecast beyond today.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Last Friday we shared a partial list of Fall/Halloween events in the neighborhood. (Check them out here.) We have two more to add to the list: Cider Fest at Carts on Foster. Next Saturday, from 11 a.m to 5 p.m., treat yourself to a variety of ciders; meet the makers; enjoy some food cart specials prepared specifically for this event. Consider checking this out before the Fall Fest at the FoPo Community Garden. Also on the 24th (for you to triple-dip on activities), Foster Row is hosting the Sinners and Saints Masquerade Ball. From 6 p.m until midnight, be treated to the following: Tarot readings, mask making, drinks, music, coffee tasting, and more.
– For the coffee drinkers (and comic book readers) who tend toward Powell instead of Foster (or simply share the love), The Spritely Bean was burglarized a couple mornings ago, leaving them with a shattered glass door and a lot of missing merchandise. They plan to be open again Saturday, so feel free to spread some love their way, either by buying some comics/coffee or supporting their GoFundMe campaign to recoup some of the losses.
– Speaking of coffee, we had the pleasure of introducing you to Catalyst Coffee this week. They are now proud tenants, innovators, and collaborators inside Foster Row. We also got to enjoy the writing of our newest contributor, Lindsay Beeson. We look forward to more from her in the near future.
– With all the changes in the neighborhood, it’s always refreshing to get some cheap Hawaiin fare and stiff drinks at Da Hui, as well as a lack of BS and pretense that you might find elsewhere in inner SE. Keep doing your thing, Da Hui.
– Speaking of neighborhood mainstays with no BS, there’s a free show at O’Malley’s tomorrow (more info below).
– For those not hip to the art game, check out BenWill Gallery. Just off of Foster and SE 67th, BenWill is part gallery and part work space, with Ben himself curating events (such as last week’s The Big Ten Inch) in the studio. I’ll admit, it was kinda weird sipping on wine, checking out art, and mingling with others doing the same…but that’s mostly because it’s been, thus far, out of context for Foster. But it doesn’t have to be. Peep the gallery (when open) and support the local art scene.
– Weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Oreganic All Stars featuring Mr. Musu and Happy Fun Ball, Friday at 9; Super Chill Saturday Show, Saturday at 7; Jankaraoke, Sunday at 9
O’Malley’s- Swamp Devil, Saturday at 9
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Fridays (Styner’s Birthday Edition), Friday at 9
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.