Welcome back to the weekend, where we may be getting our first true taste of Fall weather: a pleasant mid-60’s with a mix of clouds, rain, and some sun. Maybe it’s time to get a pumpkin or cornucopia or one of those fancy, seasonal coffee drinks—you know, get in the spirit of things and all.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Since we’re getting into the Fall spirit, here’s a premature list of Fall/Halloween related happenings in the neighborhood:
* Fall Fest at the FoPo Community Garden- October 24, 4-8 pm
* SpookFest at the Hallowed Halls- Live music starting at 5 pm, October 30
* Halloween Dance Party Extravaganza at Starday Tavern– 9 pm, October 31. Along with a host of DJs, here’s what you’ll get: “…shenanigans, booty shaking, and savory beats! There will be a costume contest at midnight, adult themed activities, fabulous featured cocktails, dancing, debauchery, and all of the other fun things you need on Halloween.
* Pig Roast at NWIPA?- Only few details available at this point, but expect live music and a pig-roasting from guests, Chicken and Guns; October 31, music starts at 9 pm
* And as always, let us know what other Fall/Halloween events are planned
– So, Craft Night SE turned eight this week. The weekly gathering of artists, crafters and makers have been meeting at Bar Carlo for many moons. Kudos to them. And if you like making art with others, join them Thursday nights…it’s open to all.
– Speaking of Bar Carlo, they’ll have a rare Tuesday opening this coming week, as they’ll be hosting a “Presidential Debate Watch Party.” The kitchen will be closed, but the bar will be serving up tasty drinks while the debate plays on the projector screen; outside food will be permitted since kitchen’s closed. October 13, 5-9 pm.
– We focus almost exclusively on Foster, barely leaving the scraps for our other neighborhood borders, SE Powell and 82nd. But both are important roadways that contribute, for better or worse, to our character, local economy, transportation network, and much, much more. And both are in store for some big changes in the coming years. You may have heard about a planned Bus Rapid Transit system being proposed for Powell/Division, but maybe weren’t aware that 82nd Avenue has a lot of advocates and city attention for planned improvements, too. If the future of 82nd interests you, consider going to the 82nd Avenue Community Forum tomorrow, October 10.
– Yelp finally discovered something we all know already: there’s a lot of drinking to be done on Foster. Like serious drinking. Check out their “Drink Your Way Down Foster,” which includes Barrio and DaHui, and mostly everything in between and beyond.
– Live entertainment for the weekend:
Starday Tavern- My Life in Black and White / The Royal Enfield, Friday at 9; We Don’t Need an Excuse to Dance Party, Saturday at 9; Jankaraoke, Sunday at 9
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Fridays, standup comedy at 9
Portland Mercado- Inheritance Stories, 9am – 9pm through the weekend
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.