Here we are, the last weekend in September. This time last year, Green Noise was in the process of moving in to the neighborhood; the BobWhite Theatre was playing movies; Dusty’s shuttered and became FoPo Tavern; the Business Association barely managed to get a Fun on Foster put together. Ah, what a difference a year makes.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– I suppose we should start with rumors of surveyor-sightings on Foster. What does this mean? It would appear city workers are laying the groundwork for the final stages of design engineering for the Foster Streetscape Plan, which should be close to commencing construction this time next year. Yikes! It’s almost a real thing.
– We mentioned earlier in the week that Backstory Books is planning a move to a bigger and more permanent location at 6010 SE Foster. Not only does it give owner, Amanda Doimas, a space more conducive to selling books, but it will give her a better commercial presence on Foster. Watch for Backstory to set up shop sometime before Halloween.
– Portlandia’s filming in the neighborhood today, and they’ve blocked off the sidewalk between Carts on Foster and Foster Burger / Devil’s Point. That leaves you with three guesses as to where they’ll be. My money’s on Devil’s Point.
– If you’re going to do anything in the neighborhood this weekend, make sure to stop by I Heart Retro and SMART Collective Saturday. This will be the spot to be, as they’re joining efforts for a Grand Opening and Second Anniversary party respectively. Between the two, you’ll get food, drink, music, cool stuff to buy, a photo display of the 1980s punk scene in LA, and much more. For real, people, check ’em out. Fun starts at 1pm.
– Mixonline had a nice writeup on Hallowed Halls. Remember, folks, Foster-Powell has a state of the art recording studio (and more). Peep them when you get a chance.
– In addition to all the live music at SMART Collective and I Heart Retro’s Saturday bash, don’t forget to catch the following at Starday Tavern:
Friday- Haymaker; 9 pm
Saturday- The Knowle Roars, Sunset Flip and Mission Creep; 9 pm
Sunday- Kickass Karaoke; 8 pm
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.