We’re plugging along through September, and Fall is definitely in the air. Our time basking in the Foster-sun for sidewalk happy hours may be slipping away, but it doesn’t have to be the end of all the fun. We have nice weather this weekend, and there’s plenty to keep us busy when the cold and rain return for semi-permanent residency.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– I’d say we sufficiently hyped SMART Collective this week, but if you haven’t been following along, they have a couple cool events coming up. First, their first ever “Merch Market / Open Mic” is this Saturday, which will bring art, music, zines and skate apparel to the masses. It’s for the consumer, yeah, but your participation if fully encouraged (that’s where the open mic comes in). Next Saturday, 9/26, marks the two-year anniversary of SMART Collective running game on Foster, so check them out then for a celebration welcome to all.
– Not to be forgotten, I Heart Retro shares a wall with SMART Collective and is equally rad in its own right. And being somewhat new to the neighborhood, they’re going to tag-team with SMART Collective and add to the September 26th party with a Grand Opening celebration. So basically, um, just plan to hang out on that block for the day (1 – 8 pm). Live music all day, BBQ, beer, photo display of 1980’s LA punk rock scene, art, raffles, cool vintage furniture, and skateboarding.
– For those organized enough to plan ahead, put this on your radar: Fall Fest at the Foster-Powell Community Garden. The annual event will be on October 24th, from 4-8 pm, and is open to all (especially those willing to volunteer). The plan is for a decorated garden, games, food, live music, costume and pumpkin-carving contest, and prizes. Plan to go, but more importantly lend a hand if you can help them get the above as part of the event.
– Saint Frank’s Music is in the house. Literally. Twas a sad day when Renaissance Guitars left the ‘hood, but all your guitar needs (and more) can still be met in the neighborhood. Find them at the Wikman Building / Hallowed Halls space.
-And while we’re putting things on the calendar and talking about Hallowed Halls, we might as well mention their planned Halloween Bash. More info to come, but expect costumes and live music. Duh.
– Portland has reclaimed the top spot as best bike-communting city. That might not be the best description—we can’t say we’re the best, but we do have the highest percentage of people who commute by bike. And just think, a large and busy, diagonal road cutting through a large swath of SE Portland will be adding bike lanes within the next year and a half. That should surely boost bike ridership numbers out this way.
– Weekend entertainment:
SMART Collective- Merit, Rose’s Armory, and Animal R&R perform tonight, 6-8 pm; Merch Market / Open Mic, Saturday 1-5 pm
Starday Tavern- Borrowed Trouble, Friday; Tweakin Like Matty, Saturday; Kickass Karaoke, Sunday
FoPo Tavern- Ferociously Funny Friday, standup comedy
World Famous Cannabis Club- Arch D Jay, Friday; Sol Slippers, Saturday
Let us know of any other news or happenings we missed. Be cool, y’all.