Well here we are, the second Friday in September and the sun’s still pumping out 90-degree days. Fear not, though, sun-haters, we dip into the 70’s by Sunday for some typical Portland weather, and then even flirt with 60’s and rain next week. So enjoy the warmth while you can this weekend.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We keep alluding to this hidden but quite active arts scene in the neighborhood. But maybe “hidden” isn’t quite an accurate descriptor. After all, the murals along Foster are evidence, as is the Foster Window Project (now completed), Craft Night SE at Bar Carlo (every Thursday), and the regular art showings at NWIPA. But there’s more—we have a lot of well-known artists in the neighborhood that are contributing to the local arts scene: Richard Melloy, Mel Katz, and Vicki and John Wilson, to name a few. We also have the recently opened BenWill Studio, which opens its doors every second “next” Thursday. We want to capture more of the scene and promote it as best we can. So if you know of any artists making noise locally, shoot us an email at [email protected]
– We trust you all have been well-fed and over-spent on your budget since the Portland Mercado opened in the Spring. But there’s reason to indulge a little more this weekend. The “Taste of Latin America” is this Saturday, which will represent over 20 regions of Latin America through food, drink, music, art and activities for kids. This will be more than just another Portland food festival—this will be about culture, too. The event runs from noon until 8pm on Saturday, September 12. For a full run-down and live music schedule, check the FB event listing: here.
– Foster’s bar scene got some more play in the Willy this week. Sort of. It’s not a bar per se, but The World Famous Cannabis Club got a review and some nice mentions, pointing to the diverse and welcoming crowd and varied offerings that make this more than just a place to smoke. The only contention we have with the piece is that writer said, “My parents are nice Midwestern people. They like station wagons, syndicated episodes of Monk, and breakfast at the type of diners you’ll find within a stone’s throw of the World Famous Cannabis Cafe…”
While I get what they’re saying, I can’t think of any diners within a stone’s throw. Olivers in Lents? Maple Leaf down the street? For more on the WFCC, see our entertainment listings below.
– The Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association meets this coming Monday, September 14. The monthly meeting at Foster Burger begins at 6:30 and runs until 8pm. If you have any concerns about crime and safety in the neighborhood, this particular meeting may be worth your attendance. Here’s the agenda.
– Here’s your upcoming entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Apple Pie and All That Jazz is performing Friday night; Mr. Muso takes the stage Saturday; and don’t sleep on Sunday’s Kickass Karaoke starting at 8pm
World Famous Cannabis Club- Royal Blue plays funk Friday night; Gaea is performing Saturday evening
Portland Mercado- El Sabor de Latin America, Saturday from noon – 8pm
O’Malley’s- DJ Shortchange will be playing his normal “second Tuesday” reggae jams this coming Tuesday instead (9pm – midnight)
Be cool, all. Enjoy the weekend.