Dang, it’s been hot. And we’re going to push past 80 through the weekend, too. So find your refuge, wherever that might be, but definitely find your way to Foster. Surely you’ll find something to get into.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– It’s here. Or shall I say, they are here. Bagels. Henry Higgins is now open, effective today (Friday), and they’ll be slangin’ bagels forever more at 64th and Foster. And while it’s exciting and all, I must say it poses a serious morning-conundrum. Pieper, Bar Carlo, and Henry Higgins within a block of each other? Revolucion Cafe and its goodness at the Mercado? Midpoint, Speedboat, Egg Carton all within walking distance? Hmmm….
– Speaking of openings…”I Heart Retro” will be opening its new location on Foster in a couple weeks—June 13, to be exact. The new space, which neighbors SMART Collective skate shop, will be much bigger than their Hollywood location. And the owner is a local, too. We’ll have more on what to expect later, but for now think midcentury, vintage and retro furniture. Oh, and Tuesday Tarot readings. Yep, your interest should be sufficiently piqued now. You’ll just have to check ’em out.
– Ok, another opening-to-be. The folks behind Vietnamese soup and sandwich spot, Ha & VL, will be opening a spin-off in the neighborhood. The funky commercial tri-plex on Powell, between SE 64th and 65th, will soon be home to Rose VL Deli, a dinner-only version of Ha & VL. This is a big score, and it adds another food destination to the neighborhood.
– And while we’re on openings, put July 11 on your radar. Hallowed Halls will be showing off their new digs at the Wikman Building with an “Opening Party.” The new recording studio is hoping to add to the growing music scene in the neighborhood, and they’ll be opening their doors that night for friends and neighbors. Music, food, and drink…so why not.
– The Incredibly Short Film Festival is tonight at the Bob White Theater. Go for the GIFs, but stay for the (possibly) last chance to relish in your neighborhood theater—you may not get another. If rumors are true, the theater’s (potential) new owner does not intend to keep it as an event venue. I guess time will tell, though, as there have been numerous fits and starts and rumors galore. But, in any event, check out the GIFs.
– The host of “Laugh Yer Ass Off” comedy night at Starday Tavern is taking his talents to FoPo Tavern, where he’ll be facilitating “Ferociously Funny Fridays.” It’s unknown whether this will be in place of Monday’s comedy night at Starday…but either way, worth checking out.
– Saturday brings art, music, food and drink to Wolf & Rabbit Emporium, where they’ll be hosting an “Open House” and “Summer House Concert” at their Foster Row digs. Technically, the open house and concert are two different events. The former (from noon to 4) is all-ages and will feature a variety of art from 30 different artists, as well as food and a DJ spinning roots and dub classics; the latter will be an eveining (7 – 9) of poetry readings and live music from the RUBATOS and DJO & VELA. The evening portion will have a $3 – 5 cover.
Have a good weekend, all. Let us know if we missed anything.