We hope you’re ready for some hot weather. It’s going to break 80 degrees this weekend, starting with today. For fear of sounding too much like a lush, I’ll only quickly remind people that happy hour on Foster is a glorious thing in the sun. But get it in while you can—Monday brings back rain.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– With all the development activity on Foster (see: apartments on Foster, “Bye Bye Busy Bee,” and Portland Mercado), is it time to start thinking about the future of the corridor and how to get involved with shaping it? I don’t want to sound naive, as if any of us have sway over developers, but perhaps it’s time to start thinking about ways to get involved in the process. So, any affordable housing advocates out there? Policy-makers or planners? People with influence at the City?
– Speaking of getting involved, the Foster-Powell Neighborhood needs you in a bad way. The meetings have great draw, but when it comes to volunteering, the numbers are dwindling. Specifically, the board is losing members left and right and is in serious need of new blood. If you’ve been to meetings before, enjoy offering your services to the neighborhood, and want to play a role in planning such events as National Night Out, Movies in the Park, and the yearly FoPo Garden Tour, consider going to Monday’s meeting and putting your hat in the ring and filling a board position. Having a strong NA, which requires a strong board, goes a long way in helping ensure the city pays attention to our needs, too. Monday’s meeting is at Foster Burger, from 6:30 – 8 pm.
– No news is good news, right? Not sure, but the silence around a potential change in ownership of the Bob White is somewhat ominous. There’s rumor a buyer is in place and that a potential deal could be closing as soon as today. But again, this is only a rumor…unsubstantiated. And we don’t know who the potential buyer is. Hopefully we’ll learn more soon.
– Going back to that sun. What’s your favorite way to enjoy warm weather in the neighborhood? Favorite patio / sidewalk spot?
– Another plug for local business—check out Velvet Goldmine, the handmade and vintage clothing shop sandwiched between Meticon Bikes and Nayar Taqueria. Grab a record at Green Noise while you’re at it. (See how we did that…actually plugged four businesses.) Support local, y’all.
– Weekend entertainment:
Starday Tavern- Wolf Radio and Mr. Musu, Friday; David Stoops, Hextrimmers, and the Wherewithals, Saturday
SMART Collective- all ages show, Saturday at 5 pm: Us Lights, Bike Thief, and The Wherewithals (yes, they’re performing twice on Saturday—SMART Collective and Starday)
Performance Works NW- Part 3 of the (Un)Made: Solo Relay series, Friday and Saturday (click link above for more info)
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.