Weekend, weekend, wet and sunny weekend. We have blah weather coming, but it doesn’t have to be a blah weekend. There’s been a lot of activity in the neighborhood lately–from business openings to police chases–so we know you’ll be able to find some action on Foster in the coming days. Enjoy.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– First and foremost, god damn, did you see what became of Red Castle Games after a drunk driver decided to flee from a hit-and-run and lead police on a chase down Foster? Smashed storefront doesn’t quite give it descriptive justice. Suffice it to say, there’s some cleanup involved after said drunk driver crashed into their front window and entrance, leaving a gaping hole in the building. Thankfully nobody was hurt. When Red Castle is up and running again, make sure you take all your gaming needs their way, as they’ll be working to recoup some of the loss that insurance won’t cover. And if you’re feeling generous and neighborly, they’ve also set up a GoFundMe page, so offer what you can to help them out.
– The other big news from this week is the soft opening of the Portland Mercado. The Grand Openining isn’t until April 11, but folks got a nice sneak peek of things to come on Wednesday, as several of the food carts began serving food. Also opened was Kaah Neighborhood Market, which has a decent selection of produce, as well as spices and an assortment of cheeses. Not yet but soon-to-be open is a wine/beer bottle shop, juice and dessert shop, butcher, walk-up coffee counter, party store, an assortment of office space, and commissary kitchen. 72nd and Foster just got infinitely radder.
– The Velvet Goldmine also opened this week, making a new neighbor for Nayar Taqueria and Meticon Bikes. Check ’em out for all your vintage and handmade clothing needs.
– We know Starday Tavern has regular live music (and comedy), as does the Bob White (on occasion) and O’Malley’s and Gemini Lounge (from time to time). Don’t sleep on SMART Collective, though. The skate shop doubles as an all-ages music venue, and they regularly play host to live shows. Catch one this Saturday for the SAOLA CD release party. Here’s the lineup:
6-6:20 Forgotten Toast
6:30-7 Soccer Moms
7:10-7:40 Dad Rock
7:50-8:20 New Social Outcasts
– Foster-Powell Community Garden update:
Work parties have begun. The garden will be open (to all who wish to volunteer) the last Friday and Saturday of each month, from 10a-2p.
Also, mark you calendars for the annual plant sale and fundraiser: April 19, from 9a-3p.
Enjoy the weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.