Dang, 73 degrees. That’s what happened yesterday. And today’s getting off to a sunny start, too. We’ll get a brief rain break tonight, but then back to mid-to-high 60’s into Monday. Hopefully you all find something to get into over the weekend.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– We have a few business openings next week: The Portland Mercado will have its soft opening on April 1, and Velvet Goldmine will start slangin’ their vintage and handmade clothing on April 2. The latter is opening its retail space in the former Renaissance Guitars storefront, sandwiched between Nayar Taqueria and Meticon Bikes.
– Not far behind the Mercado and Velvet Goldmine should be The Hallowed Halls, the recording studio and future record label that is currently turning the Wikman Building into its home. And maybe soon, too, we’ll get an update on Henry Higgins Boiled Bagels. (Lots happening in the ‘hood.) For more happenings on the street, including the pot shop making the former Smokey’s Tavern home, check our “catching-up” piece from earlier in the week.
– Ok, actually one more “new to the neighborhood”—mostly because we’re intrigued by their name: Dickey Doo’s Pub and Grub. It’s not on Foster, but it’s still in the neighborhood, located on Powell and 66th. You may know the spot by its predecessor, Undefeated Sports Bar, and its more established neighbor across the street, The Lodge. Let us know how it is if you’ve been.
– The Egg Carton made an appearance on the Food Network’s Chopped. If you missed the episode earlier in the week, it’ll re-air on April 2 at 8 pm. Props to them for putting Foster (and its namesake sandwich, FoPo Cristo) on the map.
– Things have been quiet on the Bob White Theatre front lately, but it’s still active if you were wondering. In fact, the theater will play host to a film festival this weekend, and it might be worth your while to check it out. “Celebrating the world’s finest neo-Victorian, retro-futurist Cinema since 2011,” the Steampunk Film Festival takes place this Sunday, March 29. Shows start at 2 pm, and the program guide can be found: here.
– One more call-out to writers, contributors, people-in-the-know, web designers, Foster creepers and slackers: we’re in the hunt for people wanting to get involved with the blog. Hit us up at email@example.com
Enjoy the weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.