I’ll just put my climate-change-end-of-the-world fears on hold for a sec and say, “Holy Jeezus, this weather is glorious.” Enjoy it while you can before 1) the rain returns or 2) it gets hotter and hotter and we all dry up and whither away. Have a nice weekend, y’all.
Here are your (belated) weekend tidbits…
– Hot damn, food carts galore: Big-Ass Sandwiches makes its debut at Carts on Foster tomorrow, and the Portland Mercado just rolled in their cavalry of carts, too. (And they match the colors of the permanent structure that’s been signaling the April grand opening.) And about that Mercado…Ron Wyden has already had a visit and sneak peek, which shows the magnitude of this project; grand opening is April 11.
– The Bob White Theatre caught the attention of KATU news, and they ran a brief story about its history and the efforts of Nick Haas as he attempts to purchase the building. Check it out.
– Happy Birthday, Red Castle! Five years in…good work, gang. And if there was any question about what businesses have helped usher in Foster’s resurgence in recent years, look no further than the neighborhood game store. They, along with a few other key businesses, have given the commercial district a bit of quirkiness, vitality, and variety…oh, and a constant flow of people. Celebrate with them this weekend as they put a selection of games on sale and serve up some birthday cake.
– Weekends don’t have to end on Sunday. Keep it going into Monday with the following (share if you know more): comedy night at Starday Tavern, Makers Monday at O’Malley’s, RuPaul’s Drag Race at Bar Carlo, and now…Burger Mondays at N.W.I.P.A. The latter will be limited to 12 burgers a night, each on buns from Roman Candle; different burger each week, starting at 6 pm.
– If you’re interested in getting involved with the FoPo Neighborhood Association, their monthly meeting is this Monday at Foster Burger (6:30 – 8 pm). And if you want to get really involved, there are some board vacancies they’d like filled, as well as volunteer opportunities for those who want to help with organizing some of the yearly events they put on. Check ’em out…
– Happenings this weekend:
Starday Tavern- Church of Surf, Merle Jaeger, and Joe Emery (Friday); Euge Organ Trio (Saturday)
Red Castle Games- weekend birthday sale; cake-cutting (free for customers) Saturday at noon
Gemini Lounge- DJ Encrypted (Saturday night)
N.W.I.P.A.- Jeff’s Wine Class (Sunday, 4 – 6 pm)
SMART Collective- live music and benefit for Friends of Outdoor School (Saturday, 5 pm)
Be cool, Foster people. Enjoy the weekend.