Cool, we’ll just speed into March. It didn’t really feel like winter anyway. Hopefully you’re all set to enjoy your weekend. There are few things locally you can get into, as well as the typical Foster mishaps you might find yourself in. Cheers!
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Hopefully nobody’s PTSD was triggered by a shooting near Shimmers (at 80th and Foster) and subsequent police chase in the neighborhood Tuesday night, which ultimately led to the suspect hiding out in someone’s backyard and providing the staging ground for a tense standoff. Aside from the suspect, fortunately, nobody was hurt in the hubbub. Kinda unsettling to have the helicopters hovering, streets blocked off, and a “stay inside” order in effect.
– On the brighter side, Big-Ass Sandwiches hopes to move into the ‘Carts on Foster’ pod by March 6. So there’s that….more yummy food.
– Speaking of yummy food: Kim Jong Grillin’ will be slangin’ their eats on Foster this Saturday, as they team up with N.W.I.P.A. for the bottle shop’s Second Annual Triple IPA Fest. You should probably be there. Noon – 10 p.m. this Saturday.
– Foster, for all its faults, continues to get the attention of our beloved weeklies. This week: Above the Rest Homebrewing gets reviewed in the Willy; and the aforementioned N.W.I.P.A. gets a mention, too, in the same paper’s piece on Oregeon’s top ciders.
– For those following the Foster Streetscape Plan, check out our piece from earlier in the week: Foster Streetscape Plan on Track, Not on Time.
– About the Bob White. It sounds like there was a bit of a snafu with plans to secure financing for an ownership change this week. There’s too much potential with that theater, so something will happen. We just don’t know what and when, but it still may look like this (see link) if Nick Haas has his way.
– Oh, and that Portland Mercado thingy you keep hearing about? It’s more than just an idea and bright color scheme. Their grand opening celebration is planned for April 11. Rad, RAD, RADDDDD….
– A little bit of crime, exciting food options and new businesses, beer, more food, more beer, and continued signs of progress and realized potential. I guess that kinda covers Foster in a nutshell.
Here are your weekend happenings:
Starday Tavern- Country Western by the HoneyCuts, Friday; Power-Pop by the Lovely Lost, Saturday
Bob White Theatre- Afro-World Music: Alpha Yaya Diallo, Saturday
N.W.I.P.A.- Triple IPA Fest, Saturday from noon to 10 pm (Kim Jong Grillin’ will be in the house)