Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day in advance. And happy long weekend. Hopefully you find ways to celebrate civil rights AND get into something uniquely Foster this weekend. It’ll be mostly wet, but that shouldn’t stop you.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– The Foster Window Project held its first painting party last night, and it was exciting to see it start coming together. The mural-to-be won’t just change the look of the Phoenix Pharmacy, but it’ll add some extra flavor to Foster in general. And if you didn’t know, the folks behind this project aren’t just stopping at the left-for-dead-but-oozing-potential building on 67th—they’re taking the same model and idea westward, too. Their next target is across from Meticon Bikes on Foster, roughly at 59th. (Think vacant, purple and yellow.) To get your suggestions in for the next art installation, go here: Foster Window Project – Habibi Building.
– You want a market to get produce and groceries, right? You hate Fred Meyer, right? Ok, make this happen, then: Kaah Neighborhood Market. Just one of the many things to look forward to at the Portland Mercado.
– One more plug for neighborhood business. Or shall we say, businesses. Foster Row is siiiiiick. Seriously, it’s rad. Check ’em out. They’ve managed to fit 12 different businesses in the former drapery, churning out some serious arts, crafts, and design work. In addition to the different work spaces, there’s retail and, eventually, a community art space for you all to get dirty in. More on that later, though (we’ve got a profile of Foster Row coming soon).
– First N.W.I.P.A. brings us tasty beer (and they continue to do so). Then they introduce Salt & Straw ice cream, oysters, and meatball sandwiches. Then the occasional wine tasting. Fresh fish and organic produce? Yep, that’s happened too. You can even get tee-shirts and coffee there. Now? Get your cheese on. “Bromage: a pop up cheese shop with a curated selection of cheese for sale at pro deal prices.” Monday, 1/19. There’ll be cheese for tasting, for buying, and even some melted varieties in a fondue pot.
– “Fate Reforged Midnight Prerelease is tomorrow night! It’ll be a whole night/morning of manifesting, dragons, and caffeine!“
If you know what fate reforaged and manifesting means, the above is for you. At Red Castle…duh. Tonight (Friday).
– Live music and other weekend happenings:
Starday Tavern– The New Song Project, Friday; The BroadStrokes (Blues), Saturday
Bar Maven– Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament and Full Sail Tap take over, Saturday
Gemini Lounge– Amber Harlan Granmo Jazz Trio, Saturday
Enjoy the weekend, y’all. Be cool, be safe.