Well, that was interesting. Three days of intense, cold wind followed by a very underwhelming winter storm that shut the city down despite none of the promised (4-6 inches) snow. Now it’s sunny. And it will be for the next couple days. Enjoy.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Not that increased crime rates should be something to take solace in, but the perceived spate of car prowls in the neighborhood is not unique to Foster-Powell or Mt. Scott-Arleta—it’s a city-wide problem. As per the Portland Tribune, car prowls are up 20% in the city as a whole. So while our overall neighborhood crime numbers are down from last year, some of the spikes we’re seeing—rest assured—aren’t purely indicative of where our neighborhood’s at. Still, fight the good fight…it can get better.
– Another chance to support arts and entertainment locally. Performance Works NW is hosting Cabaret Boris & Natasha tonight and tomorrow, with a lineup of dance, theater and music. Seriously, check it out. And for a little more background on PWNW and their founder, Linda Austin, click here.
– Speaking of theater, we’ll throw it out there again…support what we have, lest it go away. Sure, the movies at The Bobwhite aren’t even second-run, but they’re decent (if not hokey) and they’re in the neighborhood. Yes. ON FOSTER. Everyone wants a movie theater, but we have to keep it in business. Ok, enough preaching.
– Don’t forget the Arleta fundraiser at Bar Carlo tonight. Live music by Sonasi.
– Kern Park Flower is having its grand re-opening tomorrow. Not only have they been around long enough to see the neighborhood thrive, tailspin for several years, endure a recession, and come out of it with umph, they’ve kept the business in the family for nearly 100 years now. Celebrate their re-opening on Saturday with discounts, giveaways, raffles, and an up-close look at the changing face of Holgate.
– Weekend entertainment and happenings:
Performance Works NW- Cabaret Boris and Natasha, Friday and Saturday
Bobwhite Theatre- The Room, Friday at 8 and 10 p.m.
Bar Carlo- Bar Carlo Dine Out Night and Arleta School fundraiser, Friday, 6 – 10 p.m
Torta-landia- Twitch Silverback, Friday; David Kelley, Saturday
Gemini Lounge- Amber Harlan Granmo, Saturday
Starday Tavern- Spider Mocassin Folk Ensamble and Ben Easher, Friday; The Lovely Lost, Saturday
Have a good weekend, all.