Welcome back to the weekend, folks. The wet, wet weekend. Oh, how a Doug Fir-esque bar—with fireplace and comfy seating—would be nice within walking distance. No sweat, though; we have plenty of local hangs to warm up and dry off in. Find one.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– The FoPo Fall Fest is happening this weekend, rain and mud and all. Make your way to the Foster-Powell Community Garden for some pumpkin carving, a costume contest, face-painting, cake and other treats, and (hopefully) random guests that will liven the place up. More info here.
– And for other Halloween-related events over the next week, check out our running list of happenings in the ‘hood. Feel free to add to the list.
– Foster-Powell, the ninth most dangerous neighborhood in Portland? That’s what the folks over at Go Local PDX say, in a very non-scientific ranking. I know we have a lot of scrappers and meth heads trolling around, but ninth? Come on. Well, to put some of your concerns to rest, the rankings are based on crime stats—sure—but also the amount of fire emergencies and unsafe traffic intersections. Now it makes sense, I guess, as we are bound by a couple high-crash corridors. Still, the rankings seem a bit misleading. For reference, though, Lents was ranked second most dangerous, while Mt. Scott-Arleta was 20th.
– Another plug for the BobWhite Theatre: movies, movies, movies, and concerts too. (Here’s the November events calendar.) There’s something for everyone, so get in and support it.
– Weekend music and performance
Torta- Ian Uponen, Friday; The Heartford Defiant, Saturday
Gemini- Finn Doxie, Friday
O’Malley’s- The Last Regiment of Syncopated Drummers, Saturday
Starday- The Vermadons, Friday; Bridgecreek, Saturday
Performance Works NW- The Word Hand:: Austin, Boas, & Hutchins, Friday and Saturday-8pm
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool.