Hopefully you’re easing into Fall well. I imagine we’ll start seeing Christmas stuff at the stores soon, as well as Bing Crosby and Mariah Carey serenading us into a shopping mood. (I swear it begins earlier and earlier every year.) Have a good weekend, all.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Whether you believe the hype or not, the Bobwhite continues to have positive momentum. After celebrating 90 years standing last weekend, the theatre began hosting its twice-weekly run of movies this Thursday. Also, Melissa Binder from the Oregonian wrote a nice piece about the struggles of previous owner, Nick Storie, as he sought to bring the theatre back to life a few years ago, only to find it much harder than he envisioned, and ultimately handing the reins over to current manager and soon-to-be owner, Nick Haas. Check it out: here.
– Bar Carlo continues with its enhanced nighttime offerings. Craft Night SE has been around for seven years; Big Gay Mondays happens on occasion; Sweet Reggae Sundays kicked off in August; Wednesday night jazz sessions is a few weeks in; now, Saturday night spoken word and open mic will be working on week two. We all know about the brunch—time to check ’em out in the evening if you’re not already. Oh, they also have a wine list that (for the last few weeks) includes half-off bottles Monday-Thursday.
– Speaking of wine, N.W.I.P.A. will be hosting a wine tasting this Sunday to get you geared up for the holidays. From 5 – 6:30 pm, local resident, Jeff Whelton, will be pouring a selection of six different wines that may go well with the cold weather and holiday parties/meals. You’ll have to RSVP in advance; $25 per person.
– Quick reminder: Bar Maven now serves brunch on Saturday and Sunday.
– We’ve seen the gradual facelifting of Foster—from Nayar to O’Malley’s, and Red Castle Plaza to the future Green Noise Records—but there’s more to come. Local artists, John and Vicki Wilson, are hoping to liven up some of Foster’s vacant or less-than-appealing windowfronts with a series of art installations. Learn more here: fosterwindowproject.wordpress.com.
– Here’s your music/happenings for the weekend:
Torta- Nathan Ganz, Friday; Zac Allen’s Jazzy Night, Saturday
Gemini- DJ Encrypted, Saturday
Starday- BorderTown, Friday; Navigate North, Saturday
Performance Works NW- Dance/Play/Move, Saturday from 12:30-1:30pm
NWIPA- Holiday Wine Tasting, Sunday
Bar Carlo- Spoken Word and Open Mic, Saturday; Sweet Reggae Sundays, Sunday evening; Jazz Sessions, Wednesday
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool.