The weekend’s upon us, and we’ll be threatening to hit 90 degrees on Saturday and Sunday. Enjoy the warm, sunny weather while it lasts. There’s plenty to do this weekend in the neighborhood and out, so make the most out of it. Also, if there was a song or music video that best characterized our stretch of Foster and its environs, what would it be? Send us your thoughts.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Next weekend is shaping up to be a big one on Foster. To commemorate 90 years standing tall, the Bobwhite Theatre is getting a birthday party in the form of a weekend-long music festival and community party; bands, birthday cake, and revelry from Friday (9/26) through Sunday (9/28). Also, that Saturday will see the return of Fun on Foster, with added live music, happenings at the cart pod, a classic car cruise-in, and vendors in Laurelwood Park and along the street between SE 60th and SE 65th.
– If anybody made it to the Shogun Assassin double feature last night at the Bobwhite, you got a glimpse of what an operational theatre in the ‘hood is like. Save for a few missing pieces, it wasn’t all too different from catching a flick at the Laurelhurst or Academy. No joke. Sure, renovations will be made and a few polishings will be added, but it had “the feel.” And to add to the ambience, neighbor, Bar Carlo, had diners and crafters milling about outside under the the glow of the marquee and tree lights.
– Nayar Taqueria will no longer be serving food on Sundays. Ok, that’s misleading. They won’t be serving anything on Sundays…that will be their lone day off, so fill up Monday through Saturday.
– Did you know you can rent games from Red Castle? Not sure if you want to commit to buying a game? Then rent one for the week. And if you do, and end up liking the game enough to buy, you get 10% off the purchase price.
– And another plug for local business: support ’em. Whether you’re in the market for a game or a guitar, a beer or a shot, some yoga or some food, a movie, hand-crafted letters, or cabinetry, we probably have most of what you need on Foster. (We probably even have most of what you don’t need, but that’s a different story.)
– Weekend music:
Torta- Ben & Meir, Friday; Livi Yiu “Playing for change,” Saturday
Starday- The Sol Mars, Friday; The Lovely Lost, Saturday
Bar Maven- Super Heavy Funk with Steven Kray, Saturday
Gemini- Finn Doxie, Friday; Amber Harlan Granmo Jazz Trio, Saturday
Bar Carlo- Sweet Reggae Sundays w/DJ Margo, from 5-10 pm
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool.