What a fun time to be Foster-ites, eh? Spiffy new storefronts, new businesses, soon-to-be functional movie theater, and the eventual Portland Mercado. If only we could blink three times, pray for the trifecta, and wake up to news that the Phoenix Pharmacy building has sold to someone who’s intent on not letting it rot.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Ok, I said “spiffy new storefronts” above. But that doesn’t do it justice. The Red Castle Plaza—just go with it—is putting some serious sex appeal into Foster. No awning, exposed brick facade, and windows that peek out at the tree line. This is a huge aesthetic upgrade for the commercial core of the neighborhood. Can’t wait for more of it along Foster.
– I also said “new businesses” above. That may not do it justice either. Foster Road will be scoring a record shop in the near future, as Green Noise Records have announced their intent to move into the neighborhood. And they even have a space picked out…we just don’t know where yet. Add buying music to the list of things you won’t have to leave the neighborhood for anymore.
– The Bobwhite Theatre is turning 90. Celebrate. At the theater. Music and revelry all weekend long, capping with a free/all ages community party and cake cutting on Sunday. September 26 – 28.
– The Foster-Powell Neighborhood Tree Inventory wraps up this Saturday with a final workday. Volunteers are still needed. Think about it. Serious, it’s not as boring as it sounds.
– Southeast Uplift recently posted a nice writeup and Q&A session with the neighborhood’s own Christian Smith and Erica Bjerning. Check it out. And for those that don’t know them, they’ve been actively involved in improving our neighborhood for the better part of a decade. Nice to see them get some love.
– For those into rankings, Foster has a few racked up. Newest among them? One of the country’s best 21 strip clubs. Bravo, Devils Point.
– Live music for the weekend and beyond:
Torta- Dennis Elmer, Friday night; Zac Allen’s Jazzy Night, Saturday
Starday- Rockabilly w/Shuggie B Goode, Friday; TBD, Saturday; FoPo All Stars Series, Wednesday
Gemini- Echo Pearl Varsity, Saturday night; Flex Logic, Thursday night
Bar Carlo- Sweet Reggae Sundays w/DJ Margo, from 5-10 pm; Allen and Letts Duo, Wednesday from night
Be cool, all. Enjoy the weekend.