Man, the energy on and around Foster lately is infectious. O’Malley’s and Nayar spruced up their storefronts and entryways; Red Castle is expanding and opening a new cafe; art exhibits; live music; a makeshift farmer’s market; and the Portland Mercado is on its way. And there’s more–just too much to go on and on about. We hope you’re all soaking it in, folks.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– With all the attention we’ve given to last week’s Foster Art Night, the neighborhood kickball tournament, news of a new late-night cafe in the ‘hood, organic produce at NWIPA, and the FoPo Tree Inventory, we completely forgot to hype the radness-to-be at Foster Row. If you haven’t heard, Foster has its own collective of artists/crafters/makers who’ve combined to create a studio and retail space at 5300 SE Foster. They’ll be celebrating their grand opening this Saturday, from 7 – 10 pm, with an open look at the collaborative workspace, as well as music from DJs Big Booty Judy and Rick Klaras, food, drink, video, and raffles. You should probably check it out. The retail space will then officially open on August 1 with a month-long pop-up shop by Delicate Doilies, to go along with the house-made wares/art/crafts.
– As exciting as this stuff is, don’t forget that it’s built off of the energy of the folks that live, work, and own businesses in the neighborhood. It’s up to us to keep it going.
– Speaking of which (hahahaha…you saw this coming), the Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association is looking for volunteers for its neighborhood tree inventory. Saturday–tomorrow–is the next work day, and they need a handful of people that are up for walking about the ‘hood, counting and helping identify trees. You don’t need to be a tree-spert to help…just willing, that’s all. Click here for more info.
– For you volunteer-types, there’s also this: Depave Portland Mercado.
– Also on Saturday, the FoPo Pirates are taking on our neighbors to the south for a friendly game of kickball. We took care of Lents pretty handily last weekend, but we know the Arletans will bring the ruckus. If you didn’t play last week, bring a black tee-shirt for some ‘skull and cross bones’ stenciling. Or wear your own pirate gear. 2 – 4 p.m. at Lents Park.
– Happy Third Birthday, Torta-landia!
– Oddly, Foster Burger was included in Portland Monthly’s list of “Portland’s Best Salads.” Apparently The Wedge salad is pretty tasty.
– Ok, one more thing before we go into the weekend music lineup. Red Castle Games is holding its annual Geek and Gamer Garage Sale Saturday. It’s what it sounds like: board games for sale, used, old, etc.
– Weekend music:
Starday Tavern- The Quags and the Welfare State, Friday at 9 pm; Red Sun Revue (8:30) and 100 Proof (9:30), Saturday night
Gemini Lounge- Finn Doxie, Friday at 8; Amber Harlan Granmo, Saturday night
Torta- Steve Cheseborough, Friday at 7; Sidestreet Reny, Saturday night
Bar Carlo- Sweet Reggae Sunday: From 5 -10 pm, live DJs playing reggae (old and new), rum specials, good vibes. Kids welcome until 9.