Fresh Produce is Coming to Foster. Buy Some.

You’ve begged and pleaded; prayed and hoped. You asked your neighbor who works with someone who knows the son of the owner of New Seasons. Or Green Zebra. Or whoever isn’t shitty Fred Meyer.

“Set up shop on Foster! Give us healthy food.”

But, no.

Foster’s a risk, maybe. I mean, we are sorta this no-man’s-land surrounded by Safeway, Fred Meyer, Walmart, Walgreens, and Trader Joe’s. I guess not all’s bad then. But that’s like saying we’re surrounded by McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell, so we’d be fine without good burger or taco options. Wait, that was us. Once. Now we have Foster Burger and many good taco options. See, progress is to be had.

Screen shot 2014-07-21 at 8.29.02 PM

This happened once in the neighborhood. Can we do it again?

But back to the produce thing. We fantasize about easy access to fresh and healthy food. Instead, we make do with our little corner of organics in a little corner of the worstest Fred Meyer ever. Ever.

So we clamor for more. (At least we have a rad fruit stand nearby.)

Well, more is happening. Even if just temporarily. Our neighborhood purveyor of all things hoppy and great, N.W.I.P.A., will be hosting Cascade Organic Thursday for a farmer’s market of sorts.

Say what?!?! Farmer’s market?

Yes. From 5 – 8 p.m., THIS THURSDAY, Cascade Organic will be setting up shop inside N.W.I.P.A. and selling fresh and organic produce, as well as portioned seafood for purchase. (Why hasn’t anybody else thought of selling beer and produce simultaneously yet?) What’s more, this may not be a one-time deal. If turnout is proper (hint: you better show the hell up and buy stuff), the owner of Cascade Organic may return for another go-around. And if proper turnout continues (hint: keep showing the hell up and buy stuff), who knows, maybe they’ll see Foster is the place to be (and set up shop permanently somewhere). I mean, we all know that Foster’s the place to be. Now we have to convince the outlanders.

Thursday, 7/24, from 5 – 8 p.m.. Do it.

14 Responses to Fresh Produce is Coming to Foster. Buy Some.

1. Erika says:

Finally! I’ve always wanted an evening weekday farmer’s market in the area. Saturday/Sunday I’m just way too busy cramming everything in that I haven’t been able to do during the week. I want to know why Woodstock and Lents have markets on Sunday at the same time? Being able to swing by after work is perfect but this year I opted for a CSA that I pick up once a week after work in the ‘hood. Maybe next year I’ll be shopping at Cascade Organic or another cooperative that sees the potential. I’ll come out and buy some seafood for sure. A new sustainable seafood market has found a home on Woodstock in case you haven’t heard. Thanks for sharing!

2. Cora Potter says:

Lents has always been on Sunday (we came first). We explored switching to Friday nights, but we would have lost some of our cornerstone vendors.

I think Woodstock is also on Sunday because that’s when Key Bank will let them use the lot.

• Erika says:

Thanks. I’m glad too see that Lents explored a different option. To bad key vendors would be lost on Friday evenings. I could envision music and dinner and evening cocktails at Eagle Eye after a bit of shopping in my life. 🙂 Haven’t been to the Lents market this year yet but plan on doing so at the street fair!

3. Anti-m says:

This is awesome, but if this becomes a regular thing, I’d vote for a day other than Thursday night. There are already several Thursday night farmer’s markets. (Particularly nearby Buckman.) I don’t think Tuesday is very popular — do I hear Tuesday? 😀

4. Lee says:

So I take it from this line in the story (Cascade Organic will be setting up shop inside N.W.I.P.A.) they will be setting up inside of a beer bottle “North West India Pale Ale?”

5. Elane says:

Got an address? Not in the know.. But would like to know…

6. Jeff Michels says:

We are super excited to be at NWIPA tomorrow night from 5-8pm. Cascade Organic is a cooperative effort of local farmers, foragers, and fisherman. We will be bringing several samples of products harvested in nearby urban farms, forests and of course the Oregon coast. If folks like what they see we look forward to more scheduled events and perhaps a neighborhood location or CSA.

7. Blair says:

Are children welcome? I know generally N.W.I.P.A. is 21 & over. Thanks!

8. Jeff Michels says:

Thanks everyone! We had a great time and look forward to coming back again in 2 weeks. Keep in touch with Dan at NWIPA or check us out on Facebook for more information.

9. Pingback: Happy Weekend, Foster People! | Foster-Powell. A neighborhood blog.