This week marked an important turning point for Foster area neighborhoods. With a 5-0, City Council vote Wednesday approving the Foster Streetscape Plan, our beloved but ramshackle corridor is now in line for much needed traffic and safety upgrades, as well as a juicy facelift that will add trees, lighting, and bike lanes. How’s that for a weekend lead-in? Oh, and about that rain…don’t fret, it’ll be gone by tomorrow.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Dare we make one more mention of the streetscape plan? Sure, why not. We now get the main street many Portland neighborhoods already have. If you haven’t already seen the plan, peep it: here.
– Any word on what’s going in next to 7-11? You know…the once half-portion of Blockbuster and, most recently, former mattress store? The only rumor we’ve heard is possible wholesale food/produce distributor. Again, that’s just rumor. And it’s unknown if there will be a retail component…or if we’re even in the ballpark with the speculation.
– Speaking of rumors, would you believe Foster could be home to a chocolate shop? We don’t. But there’s word. Very unsubstantiated word, but we thought we’d fuel the rumor-mongering.
– I’m telling you, you need some garden tour in your life. Next Saturday’s Foster-Powell Garden Tour will satisfy on many levels: meet your neighbors, see the hidden beauty in the ‘hood, win raffle prizes, and imbibe the variety of drinks that may be offered (I’ve been especially fond of the mimosas, jungle juice, and home-brewed beer–though, no guarantees they’ll be available). Oh, and check out some rad gardens, of course. Peep the FoPo Gardens Blog for more info.
– Speaking of gardens, find an hour, a friend with an hour, and one of their friend’s with an hour, to help pull weeds at the Foster-Powell Community Garden. This is a community effort. For inspiration, peep this OregonLive article. And if you’re feeling eager, you can start helping today and/or tomorrow from 10 am – 2 pm.
– Weekend music and happenings:
Torta- Bruce Kracke, Friday; Feliz Madrid, Saturday
Gemini- Ashby Scaggs with Cee White and Brian Todd, Saturday
N.W.I.P.A.– Final round of IPA Challenge. $6.00 tasters; drinking starts at noon, winner crowned at 8 pm.
Starday- Honky Tonk from Brad Creel and The Real Deal, Friday; Rockabilly from Go Dog Go!, Saturday
Enjoy the weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.