I hope you’ve all been sufficiently sprung—it is that time of year, after all. Frosty mornings are giving way to sunny and warm afternoons, which means…well, we’ll get all comfortable with the nice weather and boom, the rain will return. We’ll take it while it lasts, though. Enjoy your weekend, folks.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– I guess it wouldn’t be a weekend tidbit without the mention of languishing potential, excited prospects, and then tempered hopes. This time, we have the Phoenix Pharmacy building to look to. As the Oregonian reported, the building’s owner continues to be in talks with Mercy Corps NW and ROSE CDC, who hope to buy the building for some community benefit. While this is very exciting and all—and our crossed fingers and well wishes are on Matt Froman’s side—this wouldn’t be the first time a building or venue on Foster has generated news, giddy speculation, and the thought of “what could be.” And while we’re super excited about the possibilities, we’ll also remain cautiously optimistic. In the meantime, look forward to April 1, when the team of Mercy Corps and ROSE will determine if their plan will move forward or not.
– Support the PDX Toy Library, a local non-profit started in Foster-Powell with the idea of making toys easier and cheaper to access for local families. Still in the beginning phases, the Toy Library, created by FoPoian Cat Davila, is seeking donations for space (there’s still not a physical location), toys, and money. Help if you can. Surely you have some old GI Joes or Micro Machines laying around the house.
– The Willy Week again stumbled across one of Foster’s local businesses. This time, Fat Yoga gets the spotlight, as they made the list of 10 Next Wave yoga classes in this week’s Yoga Issue.
– For all of our criticizing of the Bob White’s questionable re-emergence since re-opening the doors a couple years ago, they have put on some fun shows. Or intriguing at the least. Here’s another one that actually sounds worth the price of admission, even if simply for curiosity’s sake: The Inaugural Repo! The Genetic Opera Show. It appears Rocky Horror Picture Show-esque, which is pretty rad in it’s own right. That happens tonight.
– Live music (that we know about) this weekend:
*Dennis Elmer at Torta, Friday; Claxton Kent, Saturday
*The Quags at 6pm, and the Can’t Hardly Playboys at 9pm at Starday, Friday
*Finn Doxie at Gemini, Friday; Amber Harlan Granmo, Saturday