Sun, sun, sun. And it’s the weekend. Does it get better than that…even if a few rain drops are sprinkled in between? Not really. Check out all the happenings in the neighborhood below.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– The Portland Development Commission officially signed off on a lease with the Portland Mercado this week, which means we’re that much closer to seeing the public market move into its future home at 72nd and Foster.
– We’re still a few months away from the annual Foster-Powell Garden Tour, but the planning starts now. Well, actually it starts Saturday. If you’re interested in participating, either as a home on the route or with planning, there is an informal meet and greet / info session at Pieper Cafe tomorrow, from 9:30 – 11:30.
– Is anyone surprised that our little triangle and its bounds represented disproportionately well in the Willy Week’s Strip Club Guide? Among their favorite clubs, three from our stretch of Foster and Powell made the list. Devil’s Point was a shoe-in, but Dv8 and Shimmers made the list, too. Seductions and Pussy Cats weren’t as lucky. Or that creepy, private lingerie showroom on Powell. Hmmm, imagine that.
– It was reported earlier this week that Everett Custom Homes plans to build eight houses on the vacant lot at SE 65th and Holgate. Usually this kind of development brings up a strong mix of feelings about a) the joys of increasing property values, b) the pitfalls of increasing housing costs, and c) the changing character of the neighborhood. If you have a strong feeling one way or the other, please feel free to leave your comments on that post. Also, be encouraged to share any concerns with the Neighborhood Association so they know how to address the developers when they present such plans.
– Support your local arts: Performance Works NW hosts Demolition Duo Explodes this Saturday, starting at 4 pm. Sliding scale, $5 – $15.
– As the sun starts creeping out more and more, don’t forget all the places along and off of Foster that provide outside dining/drinking. New to the list is Nayar Taqueria, who wasn’t around to start off the spring and summer last year (outdoor tables). And don’t forget that Bar Maven’s front garage-window opens up to the sidewalk. Oh, and we’re crossing our fingers that Torta-landia is successful in their bid to add “street seats” to their dining/drinking options.
– Happenings this weekend:
* Allie Conner Band at Starday, Friday
* Fort George IPA Tap Takeover and Art Opening at N.W.I.P.A., Saturday, 6 – 9.
* Jim Creek at Gemini, Saturday
* Jeremy Junkin at Torta, Friday; Rogue Bluegrass Band, Saturday
That’s all folks. Let us know what you’ll be getting into. Be cool, be safe.