Friday is upon us…and it feels good. There’s a lot happening this weekend, whether it’s a community event or live music somewhere. Get in where you fit in…there’s something for everyone. Oh, and as a reminder, support your local businesses.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Torta-landia is hoping to participate in the city’s second-year experiment with “street seats.” Basically, they have an opportunity to expand their outdoor seating by eliminating a parking space and replacing it with a platformed dining/sitting area, much like a deck or patio. They need your help, though. Torta will need the endorsement of neighbors and other business owners, and they’ve drafted a letter for folks to sign in favor of the expansion. Not that you need a reason to go in, but do…and sign the letter. Or, you can draft your own letter and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (address it to the Bureau of Transportation).
– The Portland Mercado continues to build momentum, and it looks like groundbreaking may only be a few months away. Here’s the Oregonian’s latest coverage of the future public market.
– The Willy Week just put out their Cheap Eats edition, and Foster again makes the cut. It seems like a Foster restaurant, food cart, or bakery is getting reviewed on a weekly basis, so I guess it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise. Congrats to Road Runner BBQ (top-5 food carts), Foster Burger (burgers and dogs), Tambayan Restaurant (Filipino), Nayar Taqueria (Mexican), and An Xuyen (Vietnamese) for all making the list. Powell Seafood (Chinese) and L&L Hawaiian Barbecue also made the cut for nearby spots.
– Oh, and for icing on the cake: the Pod Bar got a Willy review, too.
– If you’re free anytime today or Saturday, the Foster-Powell Community Garden needs your help. With the anticipated arrival of 40 bare-root native bushes, the holes need to be dug and dirt shoveled. Bring gloves and a shovel anytime between 10 am and 4 pm either day.
– Weekend music:
Torta- John Rankin, Friday; Kevin Guitron’s Piano Night on Saturday
Gemini Lounge- Ashby Scaggs on Saturday
O’Malley’s- Spanish Galleons w/Disciples of Rock & Roll and Dr. Staxl, Saturday night
Bob White Theatre- Winter Blues Fest, Saturday and Sunday
Have a swell weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.