Well, fall came hard, quick, and early. Temperatures have fallen and the rain has inched its way back into our day-to-day. Hopefully we get respite tomorrow for Fun on Foster.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– As mentioned above, Fun on Foster is Saturday. Brave whatever inclement weather that’s threatening and do your Foster boogie. The fun runs from 10 am – 5 pm.
*As of Friday afternoon, multiple events at Fun on Foster have been cancelled. Foster United has a running thread on changes to the schedule. Check there before planning your day around disappearing festivities.
– The Stakeholder Advisory Committee for Foster’s Streetscape refresh met on Wednesday, and it appears the final steps are nearing. Not without some tension, though. A three-lane option continues to show great promise for calming traffic, making for safer walking conditions, and adding bike lanes—all while preserving sidewalk space for trees, sidewalk seating, etc. Where things become contentious, though, is when discussing options for cross sections east of 82nd. One SAC member, in particular, continued to advocate for maintaining driving times and a four-lane configuration, while simultaneously pushing for expanding sidewalks from five feet to 14, which would eliminate parking, the potential for bike lanes, as well as reduce travel lanes in each direction from two to one. Thus, it’s unclear what their official stance is. Another take from the meeting: a design option should be presented to the committee in the next month or two, which means seeking city council adoption is not too far away.
– New business on Foster: SMART Collective skate shop. Check ’em out at 69th and Foster, right next to Kidopolis. They’ll be having their grand opening on Saturday to coincide with Fun on Foster.
– Another writeup for a Foster food cart. Pressed sandwiches got the thumbs up from Food Carts Portland in a recent review…and I, too, can vouch for at least one of their sandwiches: the Sammy.
– Check out the work-party schedule for fall and winter at the FoPo Community Garden. They can use your help. And if you’re interested in being more involved, the “garden committee” meets October 19.
– Don’t forget about the upcoming, joint-Mt. Scott/Arleta and FoPo community social at Red Castle Games. This Wednesday, from 6:30 – 8:30….that’s in the pm.
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe, and stay dry.