First we celebrated International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Now we turn the page (officially) on summer. Welcome to Fall! It’s not the end of the world, just the end of the sun.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Foster United covered this, but it was an otherwise under-reported news item: Portland City Council approved the recommendation that Foster’s Streetscape Plan (when refreshed) receive $2 million in federal money through Metro’s Regional Flexible Funds. It doesn’t make it official, but it all but seals the deal. With $3.25 already pegged for the project, an added $2 mil means the budget will go a little further. And maybe, just maybe, Foster will get the safer driving conditions, walkability, bike facilities, and beautification (think street trees and ornamental lighting) it needs.
– Foster Art Night is this Saturday. Fine, there’s only a little art. And not many people make it out for the event. But maybe someday it’ll be a thing. In the meantime, use it as an excuse to drink on Foster. The good news, Gemini Lounge, Torta-landia, and Starday Tavern will all have live music that night.
– But, if you are into the arts….that can still be had, too. And not just as you bounce from bar to bar. The Foster Road Salon makes art the focus, with the added touch of imbibing in music, drink, and conversation. If you do go, bring a bottle of wine and/or food to contribute, and be treated to the art of Dizzy Orion and musical stylings of Karla Mi Lugo. 8 pm above Starday Tavern.
– Up to 20 new residences will be sprouting up on Holgate, between 65th and 68th, in the near future. Some have expressed worries about traffic, some have expressed excitement over increased property values as a result of higher-end homes being constructed. And then there’s always the “g” word: gentrification. Thoughts?
– Fun on Foster is next Saturday. More on that later, so we’ll just leave you with a quick, obligatory plug: Show your Foster pride, support local businesses, come out and enjoy all things Foster (well, not all things…no meth allowed).
– For the soccer fans: Bar Carlo will be playing the Timbers/Rapids match on the projector screen tonight (Friday). Starts at 7.
– Tonight’s live music: Finn Doxie at Gemini; Sidestreet Reny at Torta; TBD at Starday. Saturday: So To Speak at Gemini; Charlie Barker at Torta; TBD at Starday.
– The Mt. Scott-Arleta and Foster-Powell Neighborhood Associations are doing a collabo neighborhood social. If you’re civic-minded, want to meet some of your neighbors, or just want an excuse to go to Red Castle Games, mark your calendar for Wednesday, October 2nd, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm (at Red Castle, of course).
– Finally, the Stakeholder Advisory Committee meets this Wednesday, September 25th, to (hopefully) start finalizing design options for the Foster Streetscape refresh. If you’re interested and/or want to share public comment, the meeting is at SE Works, from 6-8 pm.
Have a good weekend, and let us know what we missed. Be cool, be safe.