What a glorious encore the sun has been performing. So glorious, in fact, the yellows and purples in the garden decided to brighten a little. Ah, soon to be wilted, though, washed up in the coming rains. Enjoy what few gifts the sun has to offer over the next couple days.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Foster Road makes the Trib again. In an opinion piece written by Marcel Hermans, Mt. Scott-Arleta’s Transportation Chair, a strong case is being made for livability, safer traffic conditions, and the addition of bike lanes. Much of this may come at the expense of increased travel times on Foster, but traffic analyses only estimate that increase to be around two minutes for the length of the corridor—well worth the benefits of safety, multiple modes of transportation, and a more livable Foster Road.
– N.W.I.P.A. is hosting the artwork of Richard Mellon through the month of August. He’ll have a showing at the bottle shop Saturday night, from 6-9 pm. Snacks will be provided. Oh, and beer.
– Food for thought: If you had a bajillion dollars, would you buy A) the Phoenix Pharmacy building, B) the Bobwhite Theatre, or C) the former Save-A-Lot space and use what’s leftover to bribe New Seasons or some other over-priced-but-oh-so-sweet-Natural grocer to set up shop in the neighborhood?
– The folks over at the Foster Area Business Association finally came through with some Fun on Foster promotion. So, indeed, we get our yearly celebration of all things Foster. What does that mean? Vendors in Laurelwood Park and beyond, food, drink, merriment, classic cars, and live music on SE 60th. All of that and more, September 28.
– Bar Maven is hosting Eastside Distilling on Saturday night, and they’ll be showing off some of their tasty bourbons from 6-9 pm. Beats and Beyond will perform their mix of hip-hop, rock, and Cuban music as the evening goes on.
– I don’t even do the role-playing thing, but I have a little retail crush on Red Castle games. Someone else has a high opinion of them, too: Adventures In A Red Castle.
– Do take advantage of Gemini’s front patio while the sun’s out. Ditto for the outdoor seating at O’Malley’s, Bar Carlo, Da Hui, Starday, N.W.I.P.A., Carts on Foster, Speedboat, Pieper Cafe, Slingshot, Nayar Taqueria and even the small space in front of Lily Day Cafe, and the window seating at Torta. You won’t always have the chance.
It’s Friday the 13th. And it’s going to be warm. Be careful out there tonight.