This is the point where we scramble for shade, consider spending a small fortune on AC, or make do and grumble with fans. It’s also when our plants become more vulnerable, partners and pets more cranky, and fond memories of Portland’s fall and winter weather kick in. Not all’s bad, though. It also means trips to the river, dry bike rides, and plenty of soaking in the sun on Foster. As you know, the latter’s our favorite…preferably with drink in hand.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– NWIPA is hosting a fundraiser for Relay For Life on Saturday, starting at 7 pm. The team, U.S.S. Hope, will be in house promoting their cause, and NWIPA will donate $1.00 for every draft beer purchased. This is an open event, and all are encouraged to go. And to play into the U.S.S. Hope theme, you’re encouraged to wear any nautical gear you may have (i.e. sailor’s hat or life vest).
– As you may have read, we have a couple new businesses moving into the neighborhood. Portland Ketchup Company (part of the Portlandia Foods label) will be making Foster home for its business operations, with some eventual retail as well. They’ll be setting up shop next to Defense Works NW (roughly 64th and Foster), and are currently sprucing things up inside. A few blocks west, Nayar Taqueria is transforming the former Ma Tona’s space into a new taco joint. This will be right next to LGA‘s new office, as they outgrew their space across the street.
– Fourth of July is quickly approaching. And I only mention this so people aren’t alarmed when it appears FoPo’s under siege. Yes, it sounds like Beirut, and the mortars in the air make it look that way, too. Rest assured, it’s just outer SE Portland’s way of showing off its, um, patriotism. You may want to water down your roof and cut any dry grass.
– Mark your calendars. National Night Out is August 6, and Kern Park will again host a live band, food vendors, and any and all neighbors who want to get down. It’s always a fun time (here’s a video from last year). Later in August, FoPo’s other park, Essex, will be taking part in the city’s “Movies in the Park” series with a showing of Princess Bride. This will take place on Wednesday, August 21.
– Live music: Thirdstreet will be playing bluegrass at Torta tonight; Gemini Lounge hosts “Happy Otherwise” on Sunday night; and I’m sure Starday has a sweet assortment of blues and rockabilly throughout the weekend.
– Your Foster-Powell Neighborhood Association meets this Monday at Bar Carlo, from 6:30 – 8:00 pm. Among other things, there will be an update on the Laurelwood Park redesign; discussion on crime prevention, specifically around Essex Park; and further planning for National Night Out.
*** Thanks to one of our readers, we’ve realized we’re a week off. The FoPo NA meeting is on Monday, July 8.
As always, let us know what we’re missing. Stay cool, FoPo.