The sun is returning for your Foster-viewing pleasure. For two days. Make the most of the weekend-long window, and get out before rain and cooler weather return on Monday. Lord knows there’s plenty to do.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Ok, let’s just get it out of the way. Saturday’s going to be nuts—a true test of your stamina and commitment to all things FoPo. First and foremost, the FoPo Garden Tour returns, and there are nearly 60 stops on the route. Fortunately, the organizers have split the tour with east/west segments and corresponding time slots (west of 67th, from 10a – 1p; east, 1p – 4p). Get more of the details at FoPo Gardens. *** During and following the Garden Tour is Crafty at the Carts (noon – 7 p.m.). If you don’t need a break between garden touring and the evening festivities, check ’em out. In short, local arts and crafts mixed in with the variety of food carts currently inhabiting the corner of 52nd and Foster. *** And finally, as the evening approaches, Foster Art Night takes over. From Slingshot to Gemini Lounge (Welfare performs live at 9p), and various stops along the way, get your fill of art, music, and food/drink. You know the deal, and if not, click the above link. *** Coinciding with Foster Art Night is the more sultry and bohemian counterpart, Fucking Art Night at the Foster Road Salon. If you’ve yet to go, expect live readings, local art, music, the Foster eccentric, and a nice combo of drinks, bites to eat, and socializing…all above the Starday Tavern.
– Yes, the above was a mouthful. But it’s also proof that FoPo (and the Foster area, in general) is the place to be.
– It’s Father’s Day this weekend. Don’t forget all of the brunch spots on Foster. Also, Lily Day Cafe will have complimentary “Beermosas” for all the dads who stop in.
– Modern Master Draft Party at Red Castle Games tonight (Friday). Not sure what that means, but I bet it’s way radder than anything else you have planned. And while we plug Red Castle, don’t forget that it’s not just a hang for the role-playing types. You can buy card games, board games, and other table-top and role-playing games. Support your local retail…there’s not a whole lot out there.
– Don’t forget about the Foster Road Bike Bar Crawl this Tuesday, June 18. Preceded by a tour of potential development/improvement sites along Foster, the Bike Bar Crawl begins at the Eagle Eye (92nd and Foster) at 7:30 pm. As part of Pedalpalooza, Nick Falbo (see his full write up of Foster area rides here) has organized the two-part ride up and back down Foster, with each part not necessarily linked. Choose one or the other, or both. The first part begins at Speedboat Coffee at 5:30 pm, ending at the I-205 MAX stop.
– Inebriated or otherwise, there’s more Foster-themed happenings Tuesday night….though not actually in the neighborhood. Bob Moricz’s film, Felony Flats, will be airing at the Hollywood Theater. Some may despise the term, others have re-appropriated it. Either way, Moricz has found a way to bring it to the big screen…for better or for worse. Airing is at 7:30.
– Future planning: Bar Carlo and Bar Maven will both be having cider tastings in the next week and a half. Bar Carlo will be hosting Finnriver Cidery Monday, June 24, for a food and cider pairing. For $30, you get entry, five craft cider pours and five custom food plates to pair with them. The following day, Tuesday, June 25, Bar Maven will be hosting Bull Run Cider for a similar tasting.
That should do it, folks. As always, let us know what we missed and/or share your event. I’m sure there a garage sales, block parties, and other happenings worth noting.