Well, the sun is back. Now we can all start complaining about it being too hot and dry. At least happy hour gets moved to outside, though. Enjoy your weekends, folks.
Here are your weekend tidbits…
– Ok, maybe we’ll make this the last reminder (call to action): the PDC’s fourth open house for the Foster Corridor Investment Strategy is this Tusday, June 4, from 6 – 8 p.m. You’ll learn about development opportunities and PDC strategies for improving the corridor. Part of this strategy includes the Foster Streetscape Plan, which is winding down its planning process…so again, if there’s a meeting to go to, make it this one. Community feedback will be sought, so the more n’hood folks that show up, the more our voices are heard. It takes place at the Junior Achievement building at 7830 SE Foster.
– The Wild Lilac Child Development Community is bringing the Village Building Convergence to FoPo. As you know, Wild Lilac is migrating its preschool and proposed K-8 charter school to the neighborhood. To beautify the grounds (at 74th and Center) and better incorporate outdoor learning into their program, Wild Lilac and City Repair will transform the property by de-paving part of the parking lot, adding garden plots (for the community and for the school’s kitchen), building a structure to house a free community book exchange, and replacing a cyclone fence with one that’s more colorful and built with windows, chalkboards and imbedded shelves. They can use your help, and this weekend will be your chance. Work starts at 10 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, beginning with a review of plans and to form teams. Check the above link for more info.
– Bar Maven – Pdx has announced its grand opening for next Saturday, June 8. There will be a dj, raffles, and beer specials. Party starts at 9 p.m.
– For Celtic-minded entertainment: Coasters Bar and Grill (60th and Powell) will be celebrating Beltaine this Saturday, from 8 – 10 p.m., with live Celtic fusion music. Traditionally, Beltaine is celebrated on May 1 to mark the beginning of the pastoral summer, so even though this is a month late, it’s fitting since the sun is reemerging. Come listen to the sounds of the dulcimer hammer, flute, and accordian.
– More live music:
Gemini Lounge- Friday night, Erna and the Erratics; Saturday night, the Black Feet Brothers.
Torta- The Tara Novellas perform tonight…not sure what’s in line for Saturday.
Starday Tavern- you know there’s some rockabilly or country…we just don’t know who
Others- let us know if there’s more
– Mt. Scott in the building (can’t we just merge already)…Pieper Cafe is hosting an MSA neighborhood social this Wednesday, June 5, at 6:30 p.m. They’re staying open late for this one, so do it up Arleta style.
– Red Castle Games doesn’t get nearly as much love as they deserve. And for you gamers out there, Flames of War will be in stock this Saturday, and FOW Rangers will be on hand to coach you on specifics of the new game. Have fun.
– There’s more work to do at the Foster Powell Community Garden. Make it happen, FoPo. This Sunday, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m..
Have a good weekend, all. Be cool, be safe.