I’m not sure of the best way to escape the heat. If you don’t have AC and are suffering like me, I suppose it’s more about coping than escaping. Hopefully you’re all coping well. Relief is in sight, though, even if it’s in the form of a temperature drop from near-100 degrees to near-90 degrees…I suppose it’s something.
Before we jump into the weekend tidbits, we’d like to make mention of a new website taking shape. That site, FosterUnited.org, will be blending some of the same elements you’re familiar with on this blog, but expanding its reach to represent and connect as many of the neighborhoods and goings on along Foster Road…not just FoPo. More on that later. In the meantime, be on the lookout for a more united Foster.
– On the topic of coming together, Foster Road is quite expansive, but we face similar challenges and can usher in a lot of the changes we seek by working together, whether you’re in Lents, FoPo, Mt. Scott-Arleta, or any of the other communities that are affected by Foster’s vitality. However you decide to get involved, just do it.
– Thanks to the Willamette Pedestrian Coalition and other concerned residents who helped bring awareness to crosswalk safety this week. If you missed it, WPC hosted a “Crosswalk Education Action” on Foster Road (at SE 61st) this last Tuesday. WPC has contributed a lot to bringing awareness to the pedestrian/traffic safety needs of Foster Road, and their continued advocacy is much appreciated.
– Foster Art Night is this Saturday. If you haven’t already, check out the lineup. As we mentioned before, the Day Theater and N.W.I.P.A are new additions to the route, and it appears they have good stuff to offer.
– Speaking of N.W.I.P.A…..Salt and Straw ice cream, too! When I spoke about coping with the heat, you could do worse than enjoying a pint and cheese plate, followed by some cold Salt and Straw.
– Lents Founder’s Day is this Sunday, from 4 p.m. to 9 in Lents Park. Party with the Lentils as they celebrate 120 years. And why not go to the Lents International Farmers Market beforehand? This week brings a pie contest and beer garden to the little gem at 92nd and Foster.
– FoPo’s Neighborhood Association will no longer be meeting at Sweetness Bakery and Cafe for its monthly meetings. It’s a bummer that Sweetness will no longer be a venue, but the good news is that those meetings will now be shifting to Bar Carlo. Same day and time: second Monday of the month, 6:30-8.
– And finally, it appears as if the show Cops is still around. I don’t have cable to know for sure, but it became apparent two nights ago when camera men were chasing after the police, who were chasing an evading man down my alley way and through the block’s backyards. Fun times in FoPo.
Have a good weekend, y’all. Be cool.