I suppose we’ll have to wait until next week for real summer weather. Still, it is coming…just not in the next couple days, although I’m sure nobody’s surprised. Have a good weekend, everybody. Hopefully you’ll find some revelry to get into.
Here are your weekend tidbits….
– Due to budget constraints, Multnomah County libraries will no longer be open on Mondays. The Holgate branch will see some changes in hours in addition to the Monday closures, but not necessarily shortened days. Check here for the new hours.
– The annual Foster Good Times Cruise-In is this Saturday, 6/30. With the number of motorcycles and fixed up classics that routinely make their rounds on Foster, I imagine there will be good turnout. From 10am until 2pm at the Junior Achievement building (79th and Foster), there will be food, music, and entertainment. Specialty, vintage, and classic vehicles will be on display with street closures and extra parking, too. Oh, and crossing guards will be on duty.
– Don’t forget Torta-landia does brunch on the weekends….11 a.m to 3 p.m.
– Speaking of brunch, the Egg Carton at the Carts on Foster pod was the lone Foster-area representative in the Merc’s “Never Wait In Line…Again” food issue. They’re doing some good things over there, and the pod could certainly use some love, so make a visit. Again, support your local businesses…there are some good Eggs Benny in it for you. Here’s what the Merc had to say:
“Like a giant robin’s egg, the Egg Carton glimmers on a gritty stretch of SE Foster with its perfect baby-blue shell. For such a small kitchen, this new food cart packs a decadent punch with fare like the FoPo Cristo (two slices of sugared French toast stuffed with cheddar cheese, fried egg, and myriad bacons, with a condiment of strawberry jam and a kick of mustard, $7) and a delicious breakfast sandwich called the Ronald (house-made sausage, egg, cheddar, and maple syrup, tucked into a nest of English muffins, $5 with bacon for $1 more). There’s no eating like a bird here. In fact, one weekend special saw the chef experimenting with devil’s food pancakes covered with fresh strawberries. She asked, “Weird question: Do you want bacon in that?” Yes. Yes, I do. And it was exactly like eating a huge chocolate bacon cake for breakfast. A word of note, the Egg Carton is still stretching their wings, so if you’re super-hangry, just know that you might have a wait, but enjoy their French-pressed coffee and fresh-squeezed orange juice in the sun and quit your squawking.” COURTNEY FERGUSON
– Uh, if it’s your thing, and you’re too cheap to pay admission to Devil’s Point, I suppose the next best thing will be taking place at Ron’s Front End and Brake Service (next to Dusty’s on Foster)….or so rumor has it. The driveway fronting Foster will become a bikini car wash this Saturday, from 1-5. If you’re so moved, check with Ron for confirmation so we’re not unduly disrupting his business.
– Finally, as much as the city draws our ire on this site for its slow (10 years) handling of the Foster Streetscape Plan, we do urge you all to get involved with the planning process. We intend to keep them honest, but also need to find room for collaboration. If you’re curious how to get more involved, please feel free to contact us or your local neighborhood association, whether in Foster-Powell or Mt. Scott-Arleta.
Be cool, good people of Foster. Happy weekend.