There’s a lot of energy swirling around the neighborhood, and it’s almost been difficult to keep track of all the goings in our little corner of the city. Thanks to everyone who’s been sharing news and participating in conversation about life along Foster. Let’s keep it going.
Now on to your weekend tidbits….
– First, make sure you’ve marked your calendars for the Bob White Reconstruction, a summer series of events that kicks off next Friday, June 1, at….naturally, the Bob White Theatre. Secondly, get your tickets in advance. You can buy weekend-long passes (wristbands), which will give you access to morning and daytime history speaks, craft shows, and other entertainment, as well as nighttime concerts. Or, you can buy individual passes. Please remember that the Reconstruction is a campaign to help the theatre pay for itself. Support your local theatre, the arts, and your community. Tickets can be bought/picked up at the Crafty Underdog shop at 6004 SE Foster.
– PBOT and the PPB conducted a crosswalk enforcement on Foster two days ago, netting 13 citations and 9 warnings in just over an hour. The numbers only reinforce the need for traffic safety improvements. Cross your fingers there won’t be any more delays in getting the streetscape implemented.
– Volunteer day and potluck at the Arleta Triangle, or “Dig-n-Dish,” as the monthly work party is called. Bring some food and get your hands dirty in an effort to maintain the Arleta Triangle at SE 72nd and Woodstock. Meetup is at 10 a.m.
– The word’s already out, but due to my taste for beer, as well as excitement for new business in the ‘hood, another mention should be made about a possible bottle shop filling the (sadly) vacant, former Guapo space.
– Get your fill of tortas and margaritas this weekend, as Torta-landia will be closed for the week of 5/28-6/4. Kyle needs a vacation, too. Word is, he’ll be opening for lunch upon his return.
– The Portland Mercado is one step closer to calling Foster Road home, specifically at the vacant lot on SE 72nd. Filling one of two empty and fenced lots at the important crossing of two neighborhoods, Hacienda CDC and the PDC have completed a letter of intent giving site control to the group hoping to locate the Portland Mercado in outer SE. Plans for the site will be unveiled at the June 6 Mt. Scott-Arleta NA meeting.
– If you missed their big party last weekend, Gemini Lounge should be pretty live this Saturday, with five dj’s spinning through the evening. As always, drinks will be tasty and strong.
Happy weekend, y’all.
If you know of an event or have news to share, feel free to drop us an email or leave a comment.